Gordon in Orvieto
The landscape of pre-modern Italy, populated by saints, mystics, artists, and poets, provides a foundation for this semester in Orvieto. Students examine these traces of Western classical civilization, exploring its relationship with present-day European culture. Especially appropriate for studio art majors, this program offers classes in the visual arts, creative writing, history, and literature.
Dr. Christine Forsythe, Frey 23
717.776.2511 Ext. 3710
- Sophomore, juniors, seniors
- 3.0 GPA or higher
- Courses may meet some general education or major requirements.
- Students take a three credit course in Italian.
- Courses taken will appear on Messiah transcripts with letter grades.
- Students will meet their third language/cross-cultural requirement by participating in this program. Students will not earn 3 credits, rather the requirement will be waived.
Costs: 2014 - 2015
Because of the high cost of this program, participation is capped at 9 students per academic year.
Messiah tuition, room, board plus $1,700 off-campus study fee.
- tuition, housing, meals
- educational excursions
- pre-departure and re-entry orientation
- studio fee will be assessed for each special topics course.
Note: additional fees students may encounter include (but are not limited to) transportation, visas, passports, immunizations, and course fees.
Students are responsible for their own transportation to and from this program.
Messiah Pre-Approval Deadlines
Spring 2015 – April 1, 2014
Fall 2015 - December 1, 2014
Gordon in Orvieto Deadlines
Spring 2015 - October 15, 2014
Fall 2015 - March 15, 2015
“Italian culture taught me a lot about the importance of family, friends, and leisure time. Their entire day is built around time spent socially, saving room for the important things, like food, love, and relaxation. It has made me want to take more time with the people who I love in my life, and to remember to see the beauty all around me.”
For more information check out: