|MC Square | Search|
The Student named above agrees as follows:
Assumption of Risk and Waiver of Liability.
Risks of Study Abroad.
I understand that participation in the Messiah College-approved program specified above (the “Program”) involves risks not found in study at the College. These include risks involved in traveling to and within, and returning from, one or more foreign countries; foreign political, legal, social, and economic conditions; local medical and weather conditions; different standards of design, safety and maintenance of buildings, public places and conveyances; increased potential for theft of personal property (which is not covered by the College’s insurance), as well as other matters described in the information posted on the Messiah College EpiCenter website, which I have reviewed and will continue to check prior to departure. I have made my own investigation and am willing to accept these risks.
Health and Safety.
1. I have consulted with a medical doctor with regard to my person medical needs. I have provided the College with all medical data and any other personal information necessary for a safe and healthy study abroad experience. There are no physical or mental health-related reasons, problems, or special dietary requirements or restrictions which preclude or restrict my participation in this Program.
2. I am aware of all applicable personal medical needs. I have secured health insurance coverage to meet any and all needs for payment of medical costs (including those incurred outside the United States) while I participate in the Program. I recognize that, while the College will use its best efforts to see that I receive adequate medical care while in this Program, I assume all risk and responsibility for my medical or medication needs and the cost thereof. If I require medical treatment or hospital care in a foreign country or in the United States during the Program, I authorize the College to secure any necessary care deemed appropriate. I am aware that a separate Medical Authorization and Release must be signed prior to participation in the Program.
3. The College may take any actions it considers to be warranted under the circumstances to protect my health and safety. I agree to express any health or safety concerns promptly to Program staff or other appropriate persons.
Information for students with disabilities who may require accommodation:
In order to address this concern, College policy requires students with special needs who require accommodation to self-identify at the time of application for participation in an international experience. These students must notify the Disability Services office of their interest in participating in an international experience and of their need for accommodation. The Director of Disability Services will meet with the student, sponsoring faculty and program representative to determine whether the student's needs can be accommodated.
Standards of Conduct.
1. I understand that each foreign country has its own laws and standards of acceptable conduct, including dress, manners, morals, politics, drug use and behavior. I recognize that behavior which violates those laws or standards could harm the College’s relations with those countries and the institutions therein, as well as my own health and safety. I am aware that if I violate laws of the host country, I may place myself in legal jeopardy and that U.S. standards of due process may not apply. I will become informed of, and will abide by, all such laws and standards for each country to or through which I will travel during the Program.
2. I also will comply with the College’s rules, standards, and instructions for student behavior. I waive and release all claims against the College that arise at a time when I am not under the direct supervision of the College or that are caused by my failure to remain under such supervision or to comply with such rules, standards and instructions.
3. I agree that the College has the right to enforce the standards of conduct described above in its sole judgment, and that it may impose sanctions up to and including removal from the Program for violating these standards or for any behavior detrimental to or incompatible with the interest, harmony and welfare of the College, the Program, or other participants at any time prior to or during participation in the Program. I recognize that, due to the circumstances of the Program, procedures for notice, hearing and appeal applicable to student disciplinary proceedings at the College do not apply. If I am removed from the Program, either before or during participation, I understand that I will be sent home at my own expense with no refund of fees.
4. I agree that I will not operate a motor vehicle of any kind while participating in the Program. I further agree that I will not engage in any of the following activities while participating in the Program (unless required by the Program and supervised by a certified instructor): scuba diving, skiing, mountain climbing, sky-diving, hang gliding, glider flying, parasailing, piloting an aircraft, bungee jumping, and any other like activity normally considered to be ultra-hazardous or regarded as an “extreme sport.”
5. I will attend to any legal problems I encounter with any foreign nationals or government at my own expense. I understand that, while the College will use its best efforts to assist me, it is not responsible for providing me with legal representation.
6. I understand that during time designated for independent travel before, during or after the Program, I may have the option to travel at my own expense. I agree to inform a representative of the Program of my travel plans, understand that the College is not responsible for me while I am engaged in independent travel, and understand that any such travel is at my sole risk and expense.
Assumption of Risk and Release of Claims.
I have read this Study Abroad Contract carefully before signing it, and agree that it contains my entire agreement with Messiah College as to my participation in the Program. This agreement shall become effective only upon acceptance by the College of my application for the Program, and shall be governed by the laws of the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania.