Scholarships and descriptions
Gates Cambridge Scholarships are highly competitive full-cost scholarships awarded to outstanding applicants from outside the UK to pursue a full-time graduate degree in any subject available at the University of Cambridge.
Gates Cambridge Scholarships are awarded according to:
- Intellectual ability
- Leadership capacity
- A person's desire to use their knowledge to contribute to society throughout the world by providing service to their communities and applying their talents and knowledge to improve the lives of others
- A good fit between the abilities and aspirations of the applicant and what the University of Cambridge can offer in its graduate programme
While at Cambridge Gates Scholars pursue the full range of academic disciplines and are spread throughout all 31 Colleges.
A Gates Cambridge Scholarship covers the full cost of studying at Cambridge.
Its core components are:
- The University Composition Fee and College fees at the appropriate rate
- A maintenance allowance for a single student (£13, 000 for 12 months at the 2011-12 rate; pro rata for courses shorter than 12 months)
- One economy single airfare at both the beginning and end of the course
Discretionary components are:
- Family allowance - up to £7,775 for first child and up to £1,200 for second child; no funding for partner
- Conference attendance - up to £500 p.a (must be presenting)
- Fieldwork - Scholars may apply to keep up to their normal maintenance allowance while on fieldwork as part of their PhD
- Some fourth year funding for PhD Scholars - termly maintenance allowance reduces per term for up to a year
- Hardship funding - where there are unforeseen difficulties