Accounting at Messiah College
Prepare to become a Certified Public Accountant; enter the financial, corporate, personal or tax accounting field; or pursue auditing – all within a Christian perspective.
As a Messiah College accounting graduate, you will be in high demand by public accounting firms and national corporations, as well as small businesses. In fact, like more than 70 percent of our graduates, you may even find yourself accepting a job offer early in your senior year.
All of the “Big Four” accounting firms recruit Messiah accounting graduates, and employers consistently report that Messiah College produces highly competent Christian accountants with the integrity, technical skills and writing ability needed in today’s demanding business environment.
Accounting major distinctives
- Develop competencies essential to maintaining, auditing and inspecting the financial records of individuals and businesses.
- Learn the skills necessary for preparing financial and tax reports.
- Take advantage of Messiah’s distinctive writing curriculum for accounting majors and compile a writing portfolio.
- Have the opportunity to be mentored by an accounting alum during your sophomore through senior years.
- Participate in an Internal Revenue Service-sponsored program where you’ll prepare tax returns for low-income individuals, elderly and those in need.
- Messiah accounting graduates’ performance on the CPA Exam consistently ranks
Messiah College in the top 10% of the 70+ accounting programs in Pa. (based on
the National State Boards of Accountancy (NASBA) results summary).
Career options for accounting majors
As a graduate of the accounting program, students are equipped to secure positions such as:
- Public accountant
- Financial, corporate, personal, auditing or tax accountant
- Financial analyst
- Financial planner
- Fraud examiners
- Risk management executives
For more information on career planning for the accounting program, visit the Messiah College Career and Professional Development Center.
Internship opportunities for accounting majors
Messiah’s nationally recognized internship program places students in a variety of accounting internships. A few examples include:
- Accounting firms
- Corporate offices
- Tax preparation
- Nonprofit organizations
- Auditing companies
Learn more about the Department of Management and Business
The Department of Management and Business is housed in the School of Business, Education and Social Sciences. Learn more about the Department of Management and Business by visiting our website, or check out some of the distinctives below.
- The Department has 10 full-time faculty members who have strong experience in industry and academics and who seek to mentor students both spiritually and professionally.
- The Department is accredited nationally through the Accreditation Council for Business Schools and Programs (ACBSP)
- Professors in the Management and Business Department have worked or taught in Austria, Costa Rica, India, Germany, The Netherlands, Switzerland, China and many other places, enabling them to infuse international and cross-cultural perspectives into their courses.
- Developing a student's global perspective has long been a specialty of Messiah College and the Department of Management and Business.
- Our students join students from several other Christian Colleges to attend the International Business Institute (IBI) a unique program of business study, corporate visits and travel through Europe, Russia, India and China.