Art (Business) at Messiah College
The Bachelor Degree (B.A.) in art (business) combines hands-on visual arts classes with core business courses to equip you with a strong business aptitude and comprehensive artistic background.
While earning your art (business) degree at Messiah College, one of the top Christian colleges in the U.S., you’ll develop the fundamental knowledge of art and art history while gaining valuable expertise in the classroom and studio.
You’ll learn the critical business skills to become proficient in marketing, economics, business law and e-commerce—all in a Christian liberal arts setting. This program is designed for those who are interested in positions of art organizations and promotion.
As a student, you will have opportunities to intern with graphic design firms, galleries, museums and public art institutions. You may even choose to study off-campus through a variety of cross-cultural programs including the Gordon Orvieto Program in Italy, Temple Rome and Wesley College in Sydney, Australia.
Equipped with a diverse set of artistic and business skills, you’ll be ready to start a career in arts management, business, marketing and promotion.
Art (Business) major distinctives
- Prepare for a career in arts management by combining artistic competence with basic business know-how.
- Have opportunities to intern with graphic design firms, galleries, museums and public art institutions.
- Choose to study off-campus through a variety of cross-cultural programs including the Gordon Orvieto Program in Italy, Temple Rome and Wesley College in Sydney, Australia.
- Have the chance to participate in the departmental honors program or an independent study
Career options for Art (Business) majors
- Art collection manager
- Marketing coordinator
- Arts promoter
- Arts manager
- Museum or gallery employee
- Nonprofit administrator
For more information on career planning for the accounting program, visit the Messiah College Career and Professional Development Center.
VISIT THE CAREER AND PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT CENTER'S SITE
Internship opportunities for Art (Business) majors
Messiah’s nationally recognized internship program places students in a variety of art business internships. A few examples include:
- Graphic design firms
- Public arts institutions
Learn more about the Department of Visual Arts
- Well-equipped facilities including a variety of art studios, an art gallery, an art history classroom with specialized digital image projection and a darkroom.
- Graphics and technology suite with Mac computers and the latest Adobe Creative Suite software.
- Art education major provides a strong curriculum and thorough training in the arts within the framework of a liberal arts education and with commitment to a Christian world-view.
- Accredited by the National Association of Art and Design (NASAD).
- Department sponsors a complete exhibition calendar as well as annual lectures attended by the Messiah community and residents of the Harrisburg area.
- The department takes semi-annual trips to museums in New York City and other nearby cities.
- Graduates have received advances degrees from respected graduate schools across the country. Many graduates now work in fields that include careers in galleries, graphic design firms, Internet businesses, product design firms and publishing companies.
- Art faculty regularly participate in juried national exhibits and have won national design awards.
- Art faculty helped create and direct the national organization of Christians in the Visual Arts (CIVA).