Art History at Messiah College
Messiah College is one of the top private Christian colleges in the U.S. Our Bachelor Degree (B.A.) in art history is one of the few accredited art history programs available at Christian colleges nationwide.
In our program, you’ll study all Western art as well as some non-Western art, and will prepare for a great career as an educator, museum curator, gallery operator or art appraiser. A high percentage of our students also are accepted into graduate programs for art history and museum studies. The flexibility of the art history program encourages students to take minors or double majors, such as history, studio art or marketing, which permits students to further shape the major in their areas of interest.
You will have the opportunity to participate in either the departmental honors program or an independent study opportunity for in-depth research. In addition, each of our aspiring young art historians spends time studying abroad in locations such as Rome, London or Sydney.
Art history major distinctives
As an art history major at Messiah College, you’ll be able to:
- Study all Western art and some non-Western art.
- Enroll in a museum studies course culminating in the development of an actual exhibition.
- Earn a double art studio/art history degree.
- Participate in either the departmental honors program or an independent study opportunity for in-depth research.
- Land an internship at places like the Philadelphia Museum of Art, Susquehanna Art Museum, Freer/Sackler Galleries (Smithsonian), the Museum of Contemporary Art in San Diego or the State Museum of Pennsylvania.
Career options for art history major distinctives majors
As a graduate of the art history program, students are equipped to secure positions such as:
- Museum curator
- Gallery operators
- Art appraisers
- Community outreach positions
- Graduate student
- Art educator
Internship opportunities for art history majors
Messiah’s nationally recognized internship program places students in a variety of art history internships. A few examples include:
- Museum of Contemporary Art in San Diego
- Philadelphia Museum of Art
- Susquehanna Art Museum
- Freer/Sackler Galleries (Smithsonian)
- State Museum of Pennsylvania
- Cumberland County Historical Society
- Perry County Historical Association
Learn more about the Department of Visual Arts
- Well-equipped facilities including a variety of art studios, an art gallery, an art history classroom with specialized digital image projection and a darkroom.
- Graphics and technology suite with Mac computers and the latest Adobe Creative Suite software.
- Art education major provides a strong curriculum and thorough training in the arts within the framework of a liberal arts education and with commitment to a Christian world-view.
- Accredited by the National Association of Art and Design (NASAD).
- Department sponsors a complete exhibition calendar as well as annual lectures attended by the Messiah community and residents of the Harrisburg area.
- The department takes semi-annual trips to museums in New York City and other nearby cities.
- Graduates have received advances degrees from respected graduate schools across the country. Many graduates now work in fields that include careers in galleries, graphic design firms, Internet businesses, product design firms and publishing companies.
- Art faculty regularly participate in juried national exhibits and have won national design awards.
- Art faculty helped create and direct the national organization of Christians in the Visual Arts (CIVA).