Biblical and Religious Studies at Messiah College
Deepen your Christian commitment, interpret biblical texts responsibly, and minister to others with wisdom and compassion.
In Messiah College’s flexible biblical and religious studies Bachelor of Arts degree program, you’ll interpret biblical texts, reflect on religious beliefs and practices and acquire leadership skills that enable you to mature academically and spiritually. Throughout the biblical and religious studies degree program, we focus on training you to ultimately become an agent for reconciliation in church and society.
Biblical and religious studies major distinctives
As a biblical and religious studies major at Messiah College, you’ll be able to:
- Study a wide range of courses on various aspects of biblical text including Pentateuch, historical books, poetical and wisdom literature, Gospels, Paul and His Letter, and Revelation.
- Take an in-depth look at the main tenets of Christian theology
- Learn about Islam, Buddhism, Judaism and Hinduism.
- Study world Christianity, including Christianity in Africa, Asia and Latin America.
- Pursue internships in local churches and community development organizations while studying at the Religion and Society Center in Harrisburg.
- Spend a semester off campus at locations such as:
- Munich, Germany
- Oxford, England (Reformation history and theology)
- Middle East Studies Program (Islam, inter-religious conflict and dialogue)
- Join the Theology Club that meets regularly to read and discuss Christian theology.
- Live and learn at the Reconciliation House, a student residence where students orient learning around issues of racial and cultural reconciliation.
- Enjoy learning and socializing in one of the College’s state-of-the-art buildings, Boyer Hall, which includes 21st-century “smart” classrooms and an inviting student lounge.
Career options for biblical and religious studies majors
- Parachurch ministry
- Social work
For more information on career planning for the biblical and religious studies program, visit the Messiah College Career and Professional Development Center.
Internship opportunities for biblical and religious studies majors
Messiah’s nationally recognized internship program places students in a variety of biblical and religious studies internships. A few BRS internship examples include placements at:
- Religion and Society Center
- Brethren Housing Association
The biblical and religious studies program is built on a core set of courses that explore various aspects of biblical texts. Then, you can also choose to concentrate in a specific area of interest to further expand your knowledge in Bible, theology, religion or world Christianity. Because of the flexibility of the BRS major, it also allows you to pursue electives in other departments, choose a double major, or even customize an individual major based on your personal career goals.
Graduate degree preparation
It is not surprising that students in the biblical and religious studies major are extremely successful in finding ministry-oriented employment and in gaining admission to prestigious graduate schools, law schools, and seminaries including Evangelical School of Theology, Wesley Theological Seminary, Villanova University, Princeton Theological Seminary, Duke Divinity School, Yale Divinity School, University of Notre Dame, Fuller Seminary, Pittsburgh Theological Seminary and Associated Mennonite Biblical Seminary.