Biochemistry at Messiah College
A degree in biochemistry from Messiah College prepares you for a variety of exciting careers such as medicine, pharmacy, allied health fields, forensic science, and more.
If you’re interested in a career in medicine, pharmacy, biochemistry, or other related fields, then Messiah College’s biochemistry major is a good fit for your college experience. The Bachelor of Arts degree in biochemistry requires fewer major credit hours than the Bachelor of Science degree, allowing you to take additional courses of special interest to you. The B.A. option allows you to choose electives in biology, nutrition, or exercise science, allowing you to tailor the courses to your specific career goals.
Take your degree a step further by adding a criminal justice minor to your biochemistry interdisciplinary major - considered an advantage when studying forensic science at the graduate level. Opportunities in this exciting and emerging field of biochemistry are yours for the taking, thanks to the creative curriculum designed by Messiah College faculty.
Biochemistry major distinctives
As a biochemistry major at Messiah College, you’ll be able to:
- Delve into exciting credit-bearing research opportunities, with Messiah College faculty and at nearby Pennsylvania State University College of Medicine in your sophomore, junior and senior years.
- Take courses that successfully prepare you to go on to medical school
- Utilize the College’s extensive collection of computer tutorials of biomolecular structures.
- Work as a lab assistant, tutor, or supplementary instruction leader in the department.
- Create a computer model of a protein structure.
- Participate in the School of Science, Engineering and Health Spring Research Symposium.
- Pre-professional programs include medical, dental, pharmacy, allied health and veterinary.
Career options for biochemistry majors
As a graduate of the biochemistry program, students are equipped to secure positions such as:
- Allied health professionals
- Research scientists
- Lab technicians
- Forensic scientists
Internship and research opportunities for biochemistry majors
Biochemistry majors compete well for summer research programs and work with faculty and outside facilities for other exciting research opportunities. A few include:
- Messiah's summer research program
- Penn State College of Medicine
- Summer REU (Research Experience for Undergraduate) programs
Learn more about the Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry
The Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry is housed in the School of Science, Engineering and Health. Learn more about the Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry by visiting our website, or check out some of the distinctives below.
- All full-time faculty are dedicated Christian scholars with Ph.D.s in all areas of chemistry: Analytical, Organic, Physical, Inorganic, and Biochemistry.
- Research opportunities in green chemistry, natural products chemistry, liquid crystal chemistry, materials synthesis, mineral synthesis and phytoremediation.
- Several labs for first year chemistry courses including 12 spacious hoods for organic chemistry
- Modern instrumentation used by students throughout the curriculum
- Designated space for student research