Biology at Messiah College
Messiah College’s biology major offers you a strong foundation in biological sciences, including concentrations in biomedical, cellular, ecological, general and organismal biology.
Put your mind, heart and hands to work as biology major at Messiah College. From state-of-the-art laboratories where students conduct research on cancer metastasis, phytoremediation, cellular immunology, forest ecology and herpetology, to area studies in the campus’ expansive woodlands, fields and wetlands, you will find a wealth of intriguing courses and exciting hands-on experiences that will enhance your learning and stewardship techniques. Also, you’ll have opportunities to choose from a variety of internships such as those at the National Institutes of Health, Nature Conservancy, Penn State Hershey Medical Center, PA State Department of Agriculture and United States Department of Agriculture.
Biology major distinctives
As a biology major at Messiah College, you’ll be able to:
- Gain firsthand experience using a scanning electron microscope, mammalian tissue culture facilities and molecular biology techniques including polymerase chain reaction (PCR), along with other sophisticated equipment to analyze cultures and manipulate molecules.
- Earn a teaching certification in biology with minimal additional coursework.
- Take courses in the biomedical concentration that will prepare you for medical school.
- Participate in travel
courses or directed research.
- Attend public events on science and faith.
- Conduct malaria/AIDS research at Macha Mission Hospital in Zambia in collaboration with Johns Hopkins.
Career options for biology majors
As a graduate of the biology program, students are equipped to secure positions such as:
- Research associate
- Staff at pharmaceutical companies
- Staff at biotech companies
- Positions with biology related organizations such as:
- U.S. Fish and Wildlife, Nature Conservancy, Audubon Society,Zoos, etc.
For more information on career planning for the biology program, visit the Messiah College Career and Professional Development Center.
Internship and research opportunities for biology majors
Messiah’s nationally recognized internship program helps place students in a variety of biology internships. A few examples include:
- National Institutes of Health
- Nature Conservancy
- Penn State Hershey Medical Center
- Pennsylvania State Department of Agriculture
- United States Department of Agriculture
Learn more about the Department of Biological Sciences
- One hundred percent of faculty hold terminal degrees in their field.
- Faculty have published in peer-reviewed journals including American Scientist, Perspectives on Science and Christian Faith, Science and Christian Belief, Journal of Virology, Journal of Immunology, Northeastern Naturalist, Zygon, Molecular and Cellular Biology, Clinical and Experimental Metastasis, Biotechniques, American Journal of Pathology, Clinical Cancer Research and Journal of Herpetology.
- Recent graduates have been admitted to top graduate programs, such as University of Pennsylvania, Johns Hopkins University, Loma Linda University, Case Western Reserve, Penn State University and Drexel University College of Medicine.
- High graduate school acceptance rate
- Opportunity to get involved with Sigma Zeta, Grantham Community Garden, Earth Keepers, Medical Awareness Society, Biology Club
- On-campus green house, real-time polymerase chain reaction (PCR) machines, phase contrast and fluorescence microscopes with digital photography, scanning electron microscopes, environmental growth chamber, forward-looking infrared (FLIR) system, plant and animal tissue culture hoods and incubators.
- More than 100 acres of natural habitat on campus including 70 acres of forest and the Yellow Breeches Creek.
- Students can travel to international settings to study biology or health care-related courses taught by Messiah faculty.