Broadcasting and Media Production at Messiah College
Considering a career in the contemporary media industry, including television or radio broadcasting? Then you’ll want to take advantage of the hands-on media production, research and management opportunities at Messiah College.
Messiah College’s Bachelor of Arts (B.A.) in broadcasting and media production offers you a strong understanding of mass media’s constantly changing culture. As a graduate of the broadcasting and media production program, you’ll become a successful communicator—someone who doesn’t simply convey a message, but broadcasts the message in a compelling and confident way.
Broadcasting and media production major distinctives
As a broadcasting and media production major, you'll:
- Choose from a news production concentration or a media management and research concentration.
- Explore courses in media culture, broadcasting, media production, various production skills, writing for mass media, media history, and media law and ethics.
- Have direct access to a fully upgraded digital editing suite featuring 16 top-tier iMacs complete with the latest software, and new HD cameras.
- Use our brand new media lab that includes a television studio space, a simulated newsroom, a fully equipped control room and a Foley sound studio.
- Enhance your portfolio by applying your skills through internships in television, radio, video production and more at local media outlets, major network regional affiliates and The Pulse.
- Gain experience in the technical aspects of mass media.
- Earn a membership to Zeta Psi Chapter of Lambda Pi Eta, honor society of the National Communication Association.
Career options for broadcasting and media production majors
Graduates of the broadcasting and media productionâ program, students are equipped to secure jobs such as:
- Media specialist
- Production assistant
- Reporter/web producer
- Video producer
- Sound specialist
- Video journalist
For more information on career planning for the broadcasting and media production program, visit the Messiah College Career and Professional Development Center.
Internship opportunities for broadcasting and media production majors
Messiah’s nationally recognized internship program places students in a variety of broadcasting and media productionâ internships. A few examples of broadcasting and media production internships include:
- WHTM-TV (abc affiliate)
- Pennsylvania's "Big 33 Football" program
- Carlisle Productions
- WGAL-TV, Lancaster
- WHAG-TV, Hagerstown, MD
- PCN—Camp Hill, PA
- FGV Media, Harrisburg
- Final Focus Productions, Mechanicsburg
Messiah’s broadcasting and media production students enjoy several distinct advantages. First, our close proximity to Harrisburg, Pennsylvania, the state capital, provides numerous internship opportunities in television, radio, new media, video production and more. We also encourage students to hone their production, writing and broadcasting skills on campus through The Pulse, Messiah's media hub that takes an integrated, multi-platform approach to news reporting on campus and incorporates all student-run media outlets.
Another distinct resource for our broadcasting and media production students includes using our brand new 1,740 square-foot media lab facility in Hostetter Chapel. The space includes studio cameras, news set, studio lights and a corner-placed, endless floor green screen (as well as several portable green screens). It also features a control room, where you can control and edit a live broadcast taking place in the adjacent studio. Computer stations and monitors allow you to control the audio, switcher, graphics, teleprompter and color correction. In addition, a Foley sound studio allows you to create sound effects and other audio in the post-production of media.
The broadcasting and media production major also provides foundational knowledge for serious media study. The most unique aspect about this major at Messiah is that it is studied through the eyes of a Christian scholar, allowing you to integrate your faith in the exciting field of communication.