Chemistry at Messiah College
Messiah’s state-of-the-art teaching laboratories and research-quality technology and equipment attract some of the nation’s brightest young men and women.
Investigate the world around you while also learning more about yourself and your Creator. The chemistry major at Messiah College, one of the top private Christian colleges in the U.S., places special emphasis on the integration of the knowledge and methods of science with what Christian faith teaches us about people and their role in the universe. Often called the “central science,” chemistry relies heavily on theory from mathematics and physics, and then informs such diverse fields as ecology, agriculture, medicine, molecular biology, genetics, geology and food science.
As a program approved by the American Chemical Society, the department offers a rigorous education across all sub-disciplines of chemistry and biochemistry, providing you with the intellectual, experimental and communication skills necessary for preparation as a scientific professional.
Chemistry major distinctives
- Choose either a B.S. or B.A., whichever fits your particular goals.
- Take exciting and challenging courses in general, organic, inorganic, and physical chemistry as well as chemical analysis.
- Research green chemistry, protein design, natural products chemistry, liquid crystal chemistry, materials synthesis and phytoremediation.
- Gain direct experience
through internships at leading scientific institutions.
- Participate in the School of Science, Engineering and HealthSpring Research Symposium.
- Work as a lab assistant, tutor, or supplementary instructor.
- Join the Medical Awareness Society (pre-medical club), Sigma Zeta (national science and mathematics honors society)or the Messiah College student affiliate group of the American Chemical Society.
- Study with outstanding Christian faculty members who are not only highly qualified academically but also have extensive experience in their fields.
Career options for chemistry majors
As a graduate of the chemistry program, students are equipped to secure positions such as:
- Allied health professional
- Research scientist
- Lab technician
- Forensic scientist
For more information on career planning for the chemistry program, visit the Messiah College Career and Professional Development Center.
Internship and research opportunities for chemistry majors
Messiah chemistry students participate in a variety of competitive research programs. A few examples include:
- Students compete well for external summer REU (Research Experience for Undergraduates) programs. Recent acceptances at MIT, Johns Hopkins and the University of Strausburg, in France.
- Messiah College students may participate in our own summer research program which provides the chance to work with familiar faculty members in a research laboratory setting while receiving a stipend.
Degree options as a chemistry major
As a student pursing chemistry, you can choose from three chemistry degree paths. The Bachelor of Science degree, with ACS Certification, is the most rigorous. It includes introductory courses across all areas of chemistry, and incorporates undergraduate research as a required part of your coursework. This is the best option for you if you want to pursue a career in the laboratory or in research. The Bachelor of Science degree is a good choice if you want to pursue a career in the laboratory. It does not contain a required research component. The Bachelor of Arts degree in chemistry requires the fewest major credits and contains more elective options than either B.S. degree. This degree path was designed for students who might want to use chemistry as a platform for work in business, law, medicine or high school teaching.
Research opportunities and hands-on learning
Almost all chemistry majors participate in undergraduate research while studying chemistry at Messiah. You’ll choose projects from across all the science departments, working closely with a faculty member, and can even begin some of these projects as early as your first year. You also have the opportunity to pursue summer research opportunities at major research universities, with the help of a strong letter of reccomendation from Messiah College faculty.
As a student in the chemistry degree program, there are also opportunities for you to work as a lab assistant, tutor or supplementary instruction leader in the department.
Our strong emphasis on developing laboratory skills and the use of analytical instrumentation throughout the program makes you particularly attractive to industrial employers. Many positions are available for chemists in chemical analysis, environmental chemistry, biotechnology and forensic science.
When you graduate, you’ll be well prepared to continue your education in graduate school, medical school an allied health field, or immediately enter a profession in the chemical or pharmaceutical industry, or teaching.