Chemistry at Messiah College
Messiah’s state-of-the-art teaching laboratories and research-quality technology and equipment attract some of the nation’s brightest young men and women.
Investigate the world around you while also learning more about yourself and your Creator. Messiah College’s chemistry major places special emphasis on the integration of the knowledge and methods of science with what Christian faith teaches us about people and their role in the universe. Often called the “central science,” the chemistry major at Messiah offers research opportunities in areas such as green chemistry, natural products chemistry, and materials or minerals synthesis, to name a few .
You’ll be well prepared to continue your education in graduate school, medical school, an allied health field, or immediately enter a profession in teaching or in the chemical or pharmaceutical industry.
Chemistry major distinctives
- Choose either a B.S. or B.A., whichever fits your particular goals.
- Take exciting and challenging courses in general, organic, inorganic, and physical chemistry as well as chemical analysis.
- Research green chemistry, natural products chemistry, materials synthesis, mineral synthesis and phytoremediation.
- Gain direct experience
through internships at leading scientific institutions.
- Participate in the School of Science, Engineering and HealthSpring Research Symposium.
- Work as a lab assistant, tutor, or supplementary instructor.
- Join the Medical Awareness Society (pre-medical club), Sigma Zeta (national science and mathematics honors society)or the Messiah College student affiliate group of the American Chemical Society.
- Study with outstanding Christian faculty members who are not only highly qualified academically but also have extensive experience in their fields.
Career options for chemistry majors
As a graduate of the chemistry program, students are equipped to secure positions such as:
- Allied health professionals
- Research scientists
- Lab technicians
- Forensic scientists
Internship and research opportunities for chemistry majors
Messiah chemistry students participate in a variety of competitive research programs. A few examples include:
- Students compete well for external summer REU (Research Experience for Undergraduates) programs. Recent acceptances at MIT, Johns Hopkins and the University of Strausburg, in France.
- Messiah College students may participate in our own summer research program which provides the chance to work with familiar faculty members in a research laboratory setting while receiving a stipend.
Learn more about the Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry
The Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry is housed in the School of Science, Engineering and Health Learn more about the Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry by visiting our website, or check out some of the distinctives below.
- All full-time faculty are dedicated Christian scholars with Ph.D.s in all areas of chemistry: Analytical, Organic, Physical, Inorganic, and Biochemistry.
- Research opportunities in green chemistry, natural products chemistry, liquid crystal chemistry, materials synthesis and phytoremediation.
- Several labs for first year chemistry courses including 12 spacious hoods for organic chemistry
- Modern instrumentation used by students throughout the curriculum
- Designated space for student research