Chinese Business at Messiah College
Develop Chinese language skills and cultural understanding along with the international business competencies necessary to meet a burgeoning global demand for multi-faceted fluency in Chinese.
This major helps you build strong skills in many critical areas through a comprehensive curriculum that offers core business courses along with Chinese language study spread throughout the entire program.
You’ll develop these competencies not by just reading textbooks and attending class lectures but also by direct immersion experiences in a foreign culture through an exciting semester of study abroad in China.
Chinese business major distinctives
As a Chinese Business major at Messiah College, you’ll be able to:
- Develop proficiency in another language.
- Spend a semester studying in China.
- While abroad, take six to nine credits of Chinese language courses and three to six credits of business courses conducted in English.
- Live among other international students where you can easily meet and interact with many Chinese students.
- Embark on an internship during your semester abroad in China.
- Join the Chinese club.
- Gain skills that are in high demand among many of today’s employers.
- Develop global awareness and cultural understanding through direct experiences in the Chinese culture.
- Prepare for a career with international businesses, missions and international service organizations; community organizations with international ties; or domestic businesses with Chinese clients.
- Continue on to graduate school to further specialize in business or Chinese.
Career options for Chinese business majors
As a graduate of the Chinese business program, students are equipped to secure positions such as:
- International business leaders or consultants
- Positions with international service organizations
- Graduate schools student
- Chinese business specialist with domestic organizations
Internship opportunities for Chinese business majors
Messiah’s nationally recognized internship program places students in a variety of Chinese business internships. A few examples include:
- Interning during semester abroad
- International business organizations
Learn more about the Department of Modern Languages
- The Department is accredited nationally through the Accreditation Council for Business Schools and Programs (ACBSP)
- State-of-the-art technology with extensive language software is available in the Beatriz Howe language lab.
- Modern language students take an intensive semester in Paris, France;
Marburg, Germany; China; Valparaiso, Chile; or Barcelona, Spain.
- Teaching certification is available in French, German and Spanish languages.
- Language proficiency is evaluated according to the guidelines of the
American Council for the Teaching of Foreign Languages (ACTFL)
- Students learn how to think and read critically, speak clearly and interact with others around the globe.
- Professors lead cross-cultural courses, conduct research, publish and present papers nationally and internationally.
- Among our professors is one who is a translator and interpreter; another who has transcribed books; and several who have studied, taught, traveled, worked and lived abroad.