Communication at Messiah College
The communication major at Messiah College combines theoretical
understanding with hands-on experience such as internships and
practicums to prepare you to be an effective, gracious and ethical
As a communication major at Messiah, you will master various forms of communication (oral, written, visual, virtual) and gain an understanding of communication processes among individuals as well as within varying cultures and societies throughout history.
The major is designed to permit you to take courses in areas that interest you most and Messiah's proximity to Pennsylvania's state capital, Harrisburg, provides numerous internship opportunities in a wide range of areas, including government and commercial fields.
Communication major distinctives
As a communication major at Messiah College, you'll be able to:
- Have the flexibility to double-major or minor, study abroad or participate in cross-cultural or external courses, including a semester at the Contemporary Music Center in Nashville, Tenn., or the Washington Journalism Center in Washington, D.C.
- Have the opportunity to participate in The Pulse, Messiah College's student media hub, which includes WVMM, an FCC-licensed FM radio station; with Channel 13, a cable access TV channel; with the Swinging Bridge, the campus newspaper; with The Clarion, the College's yearbook; or with The Pulse's thriving social media pages.
- Have the opportunity to be inducted into Lambda Pi Eta, the National Communication Honor Society.
- Continue your education through a variety of graduate programs.
- Work alongside faculty on research projects in a variety of communication-related subject areas and communication pedagogy.
Career options for communication majors
As a graduate of the communication program, students are equipped to secure positions such as:
- Community or organizational relations specialists
- Legislative affairs liaisons
- Member specialists
- Graduate students
Internship opportunities for communication majors
Messiah’s nationally recognized internship program students in a variety of communication internships. A few examples include:
- Philadelphia Flyers
- Inside-Out Creative
- Pennsylvania Department of State
- CURE International
- Time Warner Cable
- Washington National Opera
- Tierney Communications
- Bravo Group
- PA Senate
- JPL Creative Inc.
- Suasion Public Relations
- Church World Services
Learn more about the Department of Communication
- Numerous internships available locally in public relations, media production, media management, marketing, journalism and film.
- Messiah's student newspaper, yearbook, television and radio station have been brought together into a multimedia setting- The Pulse: Messiah College Media Hub addresses the changing landscape of the journalism field.
- Professional equipment, including broadcast quality microphones, digital audio recorder, HD cinema and DLSR cameras and 16mm Motion Picture Cameras.
- Brand new instructional facilities which include digital editing labs, large studio space, fully equipped control room, green room, soundproof booth and foley studio.
- Access to Parmer Cinema, which features state-of-the-art projection equipment and review-room quality surround sound.
- Study with a professor who is also a part-time sports anchor; one who regularly publishes and present research through the Society for Cinema and Media Scholars; or another who has served as a communication consultant.