Communication at Messiah College
The Bachelor of Arts degree in communication at Messiah College helps you further your knowledge in the general field of communication with the flexibility to take courses in areas of communication that interest you most. Learning to apply theories effectively and ethically in a wide range of communication specialties, you’ll graduate with the foundation needed to pursue communication-related jobs or further your education through graduate studies.
As a student in the communication degree program, you will
- Master various forms of communication (oral, written, visual, and virtual)
- Gain an understanding of communication processes among individuals as well as within varying cultures and societies.
- Study the role of communication in history and explore communication theory, rhetoric, interpersonal and cross-cultural communication.
Communication major distinctives
As a communication major at Messiah College, you'll be able to:
- Have the flexibility to double-major or minor, study abroad or participate in cross-cultural or external courses, including a semester at the Contemporary Music Center in Nashville, Tenn., or the American Studies Program in Washington, D.C.
- Have the opportunity to participate in The Pulse, Messiah College's student media hub, which includes PulseFM, an FCC-licensed FM radio station; the College's cable access TV channel; the Swinging Bridge, the campus magazine; and The Pulse's thriving social media pages.
- Continue your education through a variety of graduate programs.
- Work alongside faculty on research projects in a variety of communication-related subject areas and communication pedagogy.
- Gain practical, hands-on experience in your chosen interest area
Career options for communication majors
As a graduate of the communication program, students are equipped to secure jobs such as:
- Community or organizational relations specialists
- Legislative affairs liaisons
- Member specialists
- Graduate Student
- Engagement Invitations Coordinator
- Pastor of Youth Outreach Ministries
- Community Relations Specialist
- Communication Director
- Communications Associate
- Admissions Counselor
- Purchasing Product Manager
- Director of Marketing & Communication
For more information on career planning for the communication program, visit the Messiah College Career and Professional Development Center.
Internship opportunities for communication majors
Messiah’s nationally recognized internship program students in a variety of communication internships. A few examples include:
- Philadelphia Flyers
- Inside-Out Creative
- Pennsylvania Department of State
- CURE International
- Time Warner Cable
- Washington National Opera
- Tierney Communications
- Bravo Group
- PA Senate
- JPL Creative Inc.
- Suasion Public Relations
- Church World Services
Because of the flexibility of communication major, you can tailor your degree to your own interests and take courses in the areas of communication that are most appealing to you. This includes taking courses within any of the majors within the Department of Communication (journalism, film and media arts, public relations, digital media, media/culture/technology), and potentially adding a minor or double major.
Hands-on experience as a Christian communicator
Through the communication degree program you’ll also have plenty of opportunities to gain valuable job experience. Many students complete internships in nearby Harrisburg, Pennsylvania’s capital city, or choose to study abroad, work at The Pulse (Messiah’s student-run media hub), or take on leadership roles in clubs and organizations. Throughout each of those opportunities, you’ll practice your communication, analytical and critical thinking skills and become a successful Christian communicator and leader.