Computer and Information Science at Messiah College
The demand for quantitative, technical thinkers in the information science industry far outweighs the number of applicants.
If thinking creatively and critically to solve complex problems excites you, and you enjoy just tinkering with technology, then Messiah College’s computer and information science major might be right for you. Discover how your Christian faith and interest in computing will work hand-in-hand in your future professional decision-making. And at Messiah, your professors and our state-of-the art facilities will also encourage and support the technology research, experimentation, and creative problem solving you’ll need to compete for a successful career as a software developer, systems analyst, programmer, network administrator, database manager, financial analyst, web developer, computer security specialist and more.
Computer and information science major distinctives
As a computer and information science major at Messiah College, you will:
- Complete a strong common core of courses in foundational information sciences
- Choose a concentration in Business Information Systems, Computer Science, Software Development, or Web Management
- Conduct projects for national and international organizations with Messiah College’s Collaboratory for Strategic Partnerships and Applied Research
- Have access to a dedicated software studio where you can work on special projects, experiment with different operating systems, software and hardware and networking devices.
- Compete to participate in a National Science Foundation summer research program
Career options for computer and information science majors
As a graduate of the computer and information science program, students are equipped to secure positions in areas such as:
- Graduate school
For more information on career planning for the computer and information science program, visit the Messiah College Career and Professional Development Center.
Internship and research opportunities for computer and information science majors
Messiah’s nationally recognized Internship Center helps place students in a variety of computer and information science internships. Some examples include:
- IBM Corporation
- ADT Data Systems, Inc.
- PNC Bank
- Naval Supply Information Systems Activity
- Rite Aid Corporation
- Scientific Applications International Corporation
Learn more about the Department of Information and Mathematical Sciences
The Department of Information and Mathematical Sciences is housed in the School of Science, Engineering and Health. Learn more about the Department of Information and Mathematical Sciences by visiting our website, or check out some of the distinctives below.
- The National Science Foundation offers well-funded summer research experiences for students, and Messiah College information and mathematical science students are regularly selected for these nationally competitive programs.
- Department professors lead students on cross-cultural trips to places such as West Africa, Greece/Albania and Sweden.
- Strong students present their work professionally at our annual Spring Research Symposium
- Qualified students have competed in the International Collegiate Programming Contest where leading computing firms often recruit top students.
- 90 percent of department faculty hold Ph.D. degrees.
- Faculty regularly participates in national professional organizations and serves as readers/graders for Advanced Placement (AP) exams in calculus, computer science, statistics, and physics.