Dance at Messiah College
Do you want to communicate to those around you and express worship to God through dance? Do you want to hone your technical skills and learn new performance and choreography techniques?
At Messiah College, one of the top Christian colleges in the U.S., dance is much more than movement, rhythm and fitness; it's a creative form of worship. You'll participate in dance as a significant form of human expression and communication. If you desire to major in dance and pursue a career on stage, or you want to dance publicly as an expression of worship or you wish to continue honing your skills, Messiah can accommodate your goals.
Dance major distinctives
As a dance major at Messiah College, you’ll be able to:
- Master a variety of techniques, including ballet, tap, jazz and modern
- Perform in a variety of venues, including chapels, on-stage musicals, recitals and on-and off campus ministry opportunities
- Learn to choreograph for both Messiah's dance ministry groups and for the College's theatre productions
- Take dance pedagogy and instruct others in the art and techniques of dance
- Consider a double major, such as pairing dance with art, theatre or the humanities
- Perform and rehears in the new Grace Pollock Dance Studio, which has a sprung Marley dance surface, mirrors, bars, blackout curtains and stage lighting.
Career options for dance majors
As a graduate of the dance program, students are equipped to secure positions such as:
- Dance educator
- Dance performer
- Dance minister
- Graduate student in dance, performance or choreography
Internship opportunities for dance majors
Messiah’s nationally recognized internship program places students in a variety of dance internships. A few examples include:
- Dance Administration – Harrisburg Dance Conservatory
- Marketing - Rebecca Davis Dance Company
- Performing Arts Administration - Philadelphia Dance Alliance
Program emphasis and opportunities
While earing your Bachelor of Arts (B.A.) in dance, you'll come to better know and understand the world through dance while serving God and others.
You can take dance classes to work towards a dance major, dance minor or musical theatre major. Messiah’s dance program offers a breadth of experiences in ballet, musical theatre, jazz, modern, tap, pedagogy, choreography, dance ministry and dance history. Dance classes also help to fulfill your physical education credits.
Dance courses focus on history, technique, artistry and performance, and are taught by professional dancers who have studied and performed at venues such as Central Pennsylvania Youth Ballet, University of Utah, University of Arizona's School of Dance and Lancaster, Pa.'s Sight and Sound Theatre. What you learn in your dance classes can then be put into practice in the College’s theatre productions and numerous dance ministry groups – GiViM, Acclamation, Da Blazin’ Footprints, God’s Kingdom Steppers or Spirit Force.
Your classes and performance experiences will prepare you to express yourself in dance performance, attend graduate school, pursue a career in choreography or dance instruction or worship God through a career in dance ministry.