Dance at Messiah College
Do you want to communicate to those around you and express worship to God through dance? Do you want to hone your technical skills and learn new performance and choreography techniques?
At Messiah College, dance is much more than movement, rhythm and fitness; it's a creative form of worship. You'll participate in dance as a significant form of human expression and communication. You'll come to better know and understand the world through dance while serving God and others.
You'll dance in classes taught by experienced professional dancers who have studied and performed at venues such as Central Pennsylvania Youth Ballet, University of Utah, University of Arizona's School of Dance and Lancaster, Pa.'s Sight and Sound Theatre. What you learn in your dance classes can then be put into practice in the College’s theatre productions and numerous dance ministry groups – Acclamation, Da Blazin’ Footprints, God’s Kingdom Steppers or Spirit Force.
Your classes and performance experiences will prepare you to express yourself in dance performance, attend graduate school, pursue a career in choreography or dance instruction or worship God through a career in dance ministry.
Dance major distinctives
As a dance major at Messiah College, you’ll be able to:
- Master a variety of techniques, including ballet, tap, jazz and modern
- Perform in a variety of venues, including chapels, on-stage musicals, recitals and on-and off campus ministry opportunities
- Learn to choreograph for both Messiah's dance ministry groups and for the College's theatre productions
- Take dance pedagogy and instruct others in the art and techniques of dance
- Consider a double major, such as pairing dance with art, theatre or the humanities
- Perform and rehears in the new Grace Pollock Dance Studio, which has a sprung Marley dance surface, mirrors, bars, blackout curtains and stage lighting.
Career options for dance majors
As a graduate of the dance program, students are equipped to secure positions such as:
- Dance educator
- Dance performer
- Dance minister
- Graduate student in dance, performance or choreography
Internship opportunities for dance majors
Messiah’s nationally recognized internship program places students in a variety of dance internships. A few examples include:
- Dance Administration – Harrisburg Dance Conservatory
- Marketing - Rebecca Davis Dance Company
- Performing Arts Administration - Philadelphia Dance Alliance
Learn more about the Department of Theatre and Dance
- Faculty direct, design and perform locally and across the country as well as work with a variety of theatre companies.
- Calvin and Janet High Center for Worship and Performing Arts features the Grace Pollock Dance Studio, a state-of-the-art dance studio and Poorman Black Box Theater for smaller theatre performances.
- On-campus, 400-seat proscenium-style performance theatre - watch the video tour.
- On-site costume and properties storage
- On-campus dance studio
- Associate member of the Kennedy Center American College Theatre Festival, a national theater program involving 18,000 students from colleges and universities nationwide
- Associate member of the National Association of Schools of Theatre