Messiah’s public relations major prepares you for a variety of communication-related careers such as public relations practitioner, social media specialist, crisis manager, publications director, event planner, fundraiser, corporate writer, or marketing/advertising director. Building on a core foundation of communication courses, you’ll take a range of specialized courses designed to give you the theoretical and practical knowledge needed for a public relations career in the non-profit or corporate world. Most importantly, you'll learn how to help organizations communicate through ethical, strategic, two-way communication that values perspectives from both company leaders and the publics they serve.
As a public relations major, you’ll:
- Learn strategies to help organizations foster mutually beneficial relationships with their publics and media
- Engage with a variety of seasoned practitioners in the public relations field
- Hone your professional skills by experiencing a required internship
- Participate in the Senior Public Relations Campaign Project (offered during the fall semester to seniors only)
- Incorporate ethics and Christian faith into your professional work
- Study a variety of public relations topics, including organizational communication, crisis management, PR writing, communication theory, social media and event planning
- Gain an ethic of professionalism through the PRSSA Messiah Chapter as well as regional meetings of professional societies such as PRSA-Central PA Chapter and PPRS
- Have the opportunity to double-major, minor, study abroad, participate in cross-cultural courses, or study at the Messiah College Philadelphia Campus.
For a more detailed academic description of the public relations curriculum, click here.