Health & Physical Education Major
The Health & Physical Education major offers professional teacher preparation in health and physical education. Satisfactory completion of this program leads to public school teaching certification by the Pennsylvania Department of Education. The certification is valid for teaching both health and physical education, grades K-12. As part of the teacher certification program, students participate in early and continuing field experiences which provide opportunities to observe and participate in local schools prior to student teaching. The health and physical education teacher certification major includes a semester of at least 12 weeks of full-time teaching plus related professional experiences. Students are required to have a 3.00 grade point average (cumulative and major-specific) prior to the professional semester.
- The student will evaluate and communicate an understanding of various philosophies, pedagogical approaches, and biological and mechanical principles, and their implications and consequences for teaching and learning.
- The student will examine the role and significance of health and physical education at the elementary, intermediate, middle school, and senior high levels, and the relationship of the programs to the total school curriculum.
- The student will critique the impact of moral and legal responsibilities and general school policies on teaching and learning in the school setting.
- The student will analyze the applications, advantages, and disadvantages of various teaching and learning styles, class management approaches and motivational techniques.
- The student will critique teaching and learning in health and physical education during on-campus practica and within local schools.
- The student will complete self-evaluations and develop skills in the ability to plan, organize, and communicate in verbal and nonverbal forms.
- The student will develop the knowledge and skills necessary to locate and manage information to solve problems and make decisions.
- The student will exhibit positive and encouraging interaction with others through participation in a variety of cooperative and competitive experiences.
- The student will promote an appreciation for the uniqueness of each individual and multi-cultural awareness and understanding.
- The student will apply Biblical principles during participation in cooperative and competitive situations.
- The student will develop an appreciation for, and express support of, appropriate stewardship of the physical body and the value of healthful behavior for daily living.
- The student will develop an appreciation for the integration of faith and learning in serving others.
- The student will demonstrate competencies in performing and teaching a variety of manipulative, locomotor, and non-locomotor skills in individual, dual, and group activities, games and sports.
- The student will personally apply components of health-related fitness in promoting the values of a lifelong commitment to physical activity.
- The student will measure, evaluate, and communicate the results of a variety of quantitative and qualitative instruments and methodologies relative to student performance.
Health & Physical Education with Teaching Certification (PDF Listing)