Useful Books Specifically Related to History Majors
- Barbara Howe, Careers for Students of History (Washington, D.C.: American Historical Association, 1989)
- Julie DeGalan and Stephen Lambert, Great Jobs for History Majors (VGM Career Horizons, 1995)
- Melanie Gustafson, Becoming a Historian: A Survival Guide rev. ed. (Washington, D.C.: American Historical Association, 2001)
- Blythe Camenson, Opportunities in Museum Careers (VGM Career Horizons 1996)
- Blythe Camenson and Stephen Lambert, Great Jobs for Liberal Arts Majors (VGM Career Horizons,1997)
- Ronald and Caryl Rae Krannich, The Best Jobs for the 1990s and into the 21st Century 2nd ed. (Impact Publications, 1995)
Useful Websites with Career-Related Information
"Liberal Learning and the History Major"
"Why Study History?"
"Why become a Historian?"
"Careers in History" by the AHA
Keirsey Character Sorter [similar to Myers-Briggs, this test helps identify different kinds of personality temperaments]
History Departments around the World
AHA Data on the Historical Profession
Best History Graduate Schools
Public History Graduate School Programs
Best Law Schools
Secondary Education Teaching Careers Outlook
Museum Employment Resource Center
National Internships Online
Websites for the History Profession
For more public history graduate programs and organizations see the Links page.