History Club Service Day at Northern York County Historical & Preservation Society headquarters
The history club at Messiah College is a student run organization open to all Messiah students (history majors and non-history majors) interested in exploring the past. Our History Club Constitution is available here.
- To raise the level of historical awareness on the Messiah College campus.
- To encourage scholarship and continued study in the field of history.
- To understand and explore the presence of God throughout time and in our discipline.
- To cultivate an enjoyment of the past among students, in and out of the major.
- To build community among the History Department, particularly between students and faculty.
- To explore the many and diverse historical sites, parks, battlefields and museums surrounding Messiah College.
- To host guest lectures.
- To evaluate and discuss the historical accuracy and meaning of historic films and documentaries.
- To provide students with valuable resources, advice and information on graduate programs and schools in which to continue study in the field of history.
- To promote fellowship among students who share similar interests, goals and passions.
- Graduate School Night (An interactive panel discussion with department faculty)
- Fall Welcome BBQ (Introduction of first year students and faculty to the department)
- Films (Faculty directed discussion of movies and their historical accuracy)
- Field Trips (Washington D.C., Philadelphia, Fallingwater, etc..)
- Spring Picnic (held in early May)
GOALS AND OBJECTIVES
EVENTS AND ACTIVITIES
The history club sponsors the following events and activities:
CURRENT OFFICERS (2012-2013):
Treasurer: Brianna LaCasse
Secretary: Ashley King
2011-2012: Amanda Mylin and Katie Garland (co-presidents), Hillary Carter and Megan Keller (secretary and treasurer)
2010-2011: Elizabeth Coon and Christine Kelly (co-presidents), Katie Garland and Amanda Mylin (secretary and treasurer)
2009-2010: Caitlin Babcock and Courtney Weller (co-presidents), Christine Kelly and Elizabeth Coon (secretary and treasurer)
2008-2009: Michelle Bomboy and Lucy Vallana (co-presidents), Caitlin Babock and Courtney Weller (secretary and treasurer)
2007-2008: Mary Lee Shade (co-president)
2006-2007: Rachel Heeter and Mary Lee Shade (co-presidents)
Faculty Advisor: Dr. John Fea