The Spanish business major is sponsored by the Department of Modern Languages and the Department of Management and Business. It offers a core business curriculum and weaves second language study throughout the entire four years. Special attention is given to developing a cultural understanding with direct experience in Latin America.
A recent and exciting addition to the curriculum at Messiah College, the Spanish business major was created in response to a very real need in the business and industrial sectors. Demand for applicants with business skills who can speak Spanish and who have a good understanding of the cultures of South and Central America and Spain has multiplied in recent years. This demand is expected to continue to grow as new international trade agreements are made, particularly in our American hemisphere.
The Spanish business major leads the way in teaching the basics of business management in a global approach. The curriculum:
- Offers a core business course of study
- Weaves second language study throughout the entire instructional program
- Develops cultural understanding with direct experiences in a specific region of the world
- Provides a semester of study abroad for every student at the University of San Francisco, Quito, Ecuador.
Why Spanish Business?
The major is attractive to students interested primarily in business and who understand the advantages that a knowledge of Spanish brings to their credentials. Of course, it is also a good option for those who have a passion for the Spanish language and Hispanic literature and culture and who recognize the advantages of a combination of this knowledge with a high-demand business degree. Whether chiefly interested in business or Spanish, upon graduation the Spanish business major will be well prepared to enter an exciting international career.
- Language majors often tailor their expertise in speaking a modern language along with study in another area.
- A significant portion of business majors realize the efficacy of speaking, reading, and writing a modern language well.
- The globalization of markets has created a need for managers with business acumen who are skilled in the intricacies of a second language and culture.
- Both departments have significantly altered their curriculum to propose this major in order to allow students to complete it within the four-year time span.
- Several of our Messiah graduates who have studied Spanish, management, and business were consulted. This major will help our students to focus study in a particular area of the world. Marketing, manufacturing, and business executives must be well educated in business and bolstered by fluency in a second language in order to excel in international sites. Our alumni have confirmed our initiative.
The Spanish business major includes a semester abroad at the University of San Francisco in Quito, Ecuador. During this semester, students will develop their Spanish skills, experience the culture, build relationships, and grow emotionally, socially, and spiritually. For more information see Quito, Ecuadore-Cursos Aprobados.
For more details on the curriculum requirements and the types of courses you would be taking as a Spanish Business Major , visit our Online Course Catalog or take a look at the printable Modern Language Department Brochure. For more information see Quito, Ecuadore-Cursos Aprobados.
(Course catalog and major brochure include PDF files. Click here for the Adobe® PDF Reader®)
How To Apply
To apply for admission to Messiah College, simply call and request an application at 1-800-233-4220 or apply online! Open House dates and major-specific events are scheduled throughout the year. Students may arrange for a variety of visit options to suit their interests and schedule.
* Messiah College does not discriminate on the basis of gender, race, color, age, disability, or national or ethnic origin.