What's Happening with Guitars at Messiah College?
Some General Highlights:
Department of Music Moves To
New High Center for Worship and the Performing Arts
See: High Center
Messiah College Guitar Ensemble Concert
Saturday December 8, 3:30 PM
The Messiah College Guitar Ensemble presents a concert of various types of music. We continue to support the Guitar Studies that Mechanicsburg Middle School (MMS) includes in its music program by inviting their guitar ensemble to also perform several pieces in this concert and present a combined piece with both ensembles.
The (MMS) guitar students come to Messiah College each year to spend time with our guitar majors to explore ideas of improvisation and guitar playing techniques. Great fun!
Professor Zwally Presents Concert with Kerry Harker-Roth
To Benefit Christian Health Care Missions in Haiti
Sunday December 9, 2013
Free Admission. Free Will Offering For Missions in Haiti
Location: Slate Hill Mennonite Church
1352 Slate Hill Road, Camp Hill, PA 17011
The Messiah College Department of Music presents in faculty recital Kerry Harker-Roth (viola and violin) and Randall Zwally (guitar and banjo). The performance will take place at Slate Hill Mennonite Church. The concert will feature classicsal Christmas, Appalachian and bluegrass music. Assisting in the performance will be George Waltemire (guitar) and Caleb Liddick (double bass). Proceeds benefit the Christian health care missions in Haiti through Thriving Villages International.
Workshop for the Christian Guitarist at Messiah College - Saturday April 13, 2013
- Open to the public
- For Christian guitarists of all ability levels
Randall Zwally - Director of Guitar Studies at Messiah College
Jay Umble - Instructor of Jazz and Electric Guitar at Messiah College
Rob Zwally - Stringed Instrument Repair Specialist
For More information about the Workshop contact Randall Zwally at:
717-766-2511 ext. 2400
Please visit this site again soon for more updates about the Workshop!
Jay Umble Joins Messiah Teaching Staff As Adjunct Instructor in Jazz Guitar
Jay is from Annville, PA where he lives with his wife and son. He is one of the most sought-after jazz guitarists in our area. He is also the author of several jazz guitar instruction books.
Jay has recently released a new CD entitled “Spirit Crossing”. He describes it as, “a blend of acoustic guitars and percussion with a few added elements of pop, light rock and jazz. This all original recording contains a lot of sonic textures and at times is quite dense. It has been described as the ultimate chill album.”
Please read more about Jay at his Website: http://www.jayumble.com/
Messiah College Guitar Program Adds MIDI Guitar
- MIDI (Musical Instrument Digital Interface) is a system that can allow one performer to control several sound modules (such as synthesizers) from one instrument through the use of a computer. This is a system that is commonly associated with piano-style keyboards.
- Messiah College now offers the study of this technology using the MIDI Guitar. This system can make the guitar sound like almost any instrument (in performance and recording) and can be used to send pitch signals to a computer in order to print music notation (sheet music).
- Offering the study of this modern technology as part of the Guitar Program is one more advantage of studying guitar at Messiah College.
- Trip to hear concert by Los Angeles Guitar Quartet
- Messiah Guitar Students Playing in Jam Session w/Prof. Zwally At Fort Hunter.
- Messiah Guitar Students Attending Concerts w/ Prof. Zwally
- Various Coffeehouse Performing Opportunities & Concerts Sponsored by the Student Activities Board
- Messiah Guitar Ensemble Performing In:
- Annual Messiah College Guitar Ensemble Concert: Saturday December 8, 3:30 P.M. Hostetter Chapel. Free
- Providing music for various worship services and Christmas events on and off campus
- Campus-Wide Christmas Chapel. Date TBA
- Workshop for the Christian Guitarist - Saturday April 13, 2013 , Climenhaga Fine Arts Center, 9:00-4:00. For more info call Music Dept. Office: 717-766-2511 ext. 3310. Or e-mail email@example.com
- Senior Guitar Recital – George Waltemire: Saturday April 27, 6:00 PM
Recital Hall, High Center for Worship and the Performing Arts. Free Admission
- Messiah Guitar Ensemble Activities:
Recording Session for CD Release February 2013
Spring Chamber Ensembles Concert. Date TBA
Providing music for campus chapel service. Date TBA
- Trip to Concert of classical guitarist Manuel Barrueco w/ Prof. Zwally
Sponsored by: Baltimore Classical Guitar Society