2014 Audition and Interview Dates
Saturday, February 8th, 2014
Saturday, March 8nd, 2014
Apply Now for Fall 2014
STEP 1. APPLY
Apply to Messiah College.
STEP 2. SCHEDULE AN AUDITION/INTERVIEW
Audition/interview may be scheduled by calling Jill Propps at: 717-796-5045 or email: email@example.com. All applicants seeking admission to the Department of Theatre and Dance must audition for and/or interview with the department’s faculty. Acceptance by the college does not guarantee acceptance into the Department. We welcome applicants with several years of experience as well as those who have recently discovered the theatre and dance.
STEP 3. SUBMIT APPLICATION REQUIREMENTS
All applicants must submit an artist’s statement, photo, and résumé. These materials are due 10 business days before your audition or portfolio presentation date.
(1) Artist’s Statement: A 350 word statement that introduces you as a theatre artist. What are your unique qualities as an artist? Describe your work ethic. What inspires you to create? Why do you want to study theatre or dance? As part of the artist statement, indicate what emphasis or major you are interested in pursuing. (dance, acting, directing or tech and design)
(2) Photo and Résumé: A recent photo and a résumé of your work in theatre or dance. A professional head shot is not required. For prospective dance majors also submit a full body shot along with your head shot.
Application Requirements may be submitted to:
School of the Arts
One College Avenue Suite 3004
Mechanicsburg PA 17055
STEP 4. AUDITION/INTERVIEW
Please select one of the following areas of theatre or dance to showcase in your audition/interview.
- Emphasis in Acting: Prepare two contrasting monologues, one from a contemporary play; the other from a play written before 1900. Each monologue should be no longer than 90 seconds, offer as much contrast as possible, and be from a published play. Select roles you feel you are particularly suited for and that demonstrate your strengths. Monologues must be memorized. Alternately you may substitute 32 bars of a musical theatre song for one of your monologues. Please bring recorded accompaniment on a CD or MP3.
- Emphasis in Design and Technology: Be prepared to present a portfolio of previous work including technical drawings, production photos, and/or renderings as well as other artistic work. You may supplement your portfolio with slides, prints or digital portfolio of your work. Be prepared to leave a copy of your portfolio.
- Emphasis in Directing: Prepare one monologue from a contemporary play. The monologue should be no longer than 90 seconds. In addition, directors must prepare one of the two options listed below. The statements must be submitted to the faculty 10 business days before the scheduled portfolio review:
- Write a 500 word director’s concept statement for a realized or unrealized production of a play.
- Write a 500 word response to the director’s choices in a production you recently attended.
The dance audition consists of two parts.
Group session: the group session will be used as a warm up and a chance for the instructors to meet the prospective students prior to the individual audition and interview.
Individual audition interview: prepare a two to three minute variation or dance style of your choice. The performance space for the audition approximates 15' wide by 15' deep. Please bring recorded music via CD or MP3.
B.F.A. Musical Theatre
Prepare 16-32 bars of a musical theatre song. You may bring along an accompanist, or you may request a pianist. Sheet music must be submitted two weeks prior to the audition date.
Choose one of the following Options:
Prepare one-60 second monologue. Select a role you feel you are particularly suited for and that demonstrate your strengths. Monologues must be memorized.
Prepare a two to three minute dance in one of the following styles: modern, tap, or jazz. The performance space for the audition approximates 15' wide by 15' deep. Please bring recorded music or a CD or MP3.
Accepted Student Preview Day: Students accepted to the college will be invited to attend the “Accepted Student Preview Day." Prospective students are invited to attend special workshops or classes and visit with faculty members. For further information about the Accepted Student Preview Day, please contact the Admissions Office.
Applicants unable to attend either of the audition dates may make alternate arrangements by contacting Tymberley A. Whitesel. All auditions may be scheduled by calling Jill Propps at: 717-796-5045 or e-mail: Jpropps@messiah.edu. It is preferable that the audition take place on campus.