Education with Dual Certification in Grades Prek-4 and Special Education(N-8) at Messiah College
Messiah College’s Bachelor of Science in education degree program with dual certification in early childhood and special education means you’ll have increased opportunities for employment in both areas. You’ll have extensive opportunities for supervised field work in a variety of school, classroom and demographic settings as both a regular and special educator.
Early childhood and special education major distinctives
As an early childhood and special education major at Messiah College, you’ll be able to:
- Create a professional portfolio for potential employers.
- Become familiar with and administer standardized tests.
- Study abroad to compare education in other cultures.
- Elect to do a department Honors project.
- Arrange for a field experience available from more than 25 school districts.
- Take advantage of the flexible program which allows participation in co-curricular activities such as athletics and theatre.
Career options for early childhood and special education majors
As a graduate of the early childhood and special education program, students are equipped to secure positions such as:
- Public or private school teacher
- Nonprofit human service agency worker
- Graduate student
Internship and teaching opportunities for early childhood and special education majors
Messiah helps place students in a variety of early childhood and special education field experiences. A few examples include:
- Local public school class observations
- Junior-level field experience designing and implementing instructional plans
- Senior-year field work in 12-week student teaching experience
- Senior-year clinically supervised field experience is specialized classrooms for students with significant physical, intellectual, social and behavioral difficulties
- Education department student work study
Our Prek-4/special education program
Special education is offered as a dual certification program with the Pre K-4 certification. The dual certification will allow you to complete certification requirements for both Pre K-4 and special education. Completion of your dual teaching certification requirements in Pre-K and special education qualifies you to work in a regular educational setting in Pre K-4 or as a special education teacher in preschools, elementary schools and middle schools. If you have a passion for teaching a broad age range of students with diverse learning needs, this major may be for you.
Our dual certification program will provide you with the knowledge and skills to meet the needs of all your learners. Through the PreK-4 curriculum, you will acquire a foundation for effective thinking, systematic planning, decision making and differentiating instruction in the classroom.
The special education program builds on this foundation by introducing you to in-depth perspectives on learners with special needs, behavioral intervention strategies, approaches to assessment, developmental issues, and appropriate instructional strategies. At Messiah, you will have the opportunity to apply your developing knowledge of special education by participating in several field experiences in local public schools and community organizations in addition to the field experiences that are already built into the elementary education program.
These experiences make our students highly competitive candidates for employment. School administrators who interview and hire our graduates give consistently positive feedback about the instructional design skills of our students.