Education with Teaching Certification in Grades PreK-4 at Messiah College
Messiah’s early childhood (PreK- 4) education major curriculum provides you with a full-time, 12-week student-teaching experience and prepares you to pass your teaching certification (Praxis) exams.
Combine your passion for teaching the youngest learners (pre-kindergarten through grade 4) with the experiences you’ll gain through pre-student teaching at Messiah’s on-site National Association for the Education of Young Children (NAEYC)-accredited Early Learning Center (ELC) and also through our extensive, supervised field opportunities offered in a variety of school, classroom and demographic settings.
Our 100 percent pass rate on the Praxis II: Professional Knowledge Exam is just one indication of how well Messiah College prepares students for teaching certification and careers in Early Childhood Education. Human resource recruiters seek out Messiah graduates and school administrators who interview and hire our graduates give consistently positive feedback about their instructional design skills.
Early childhood education major distinctives
As an early childhood education major at Messiah College, you’ll be able to:
- Specialize in an academic area, pick up a minor and participate in cocurricular activities such as athletics.
- Create a professional portfolio for potential employers.
- Become familiar with and administer standardized tests.
- Study abroad to compare education in other cultures.
- Design and implement your own instructional plans.
- Elect to do a department Honors project.
- Observe local public school classrooms.
- Attend statewide conferences and participate in competitions through the Messiah College Education Association chapter.
- Present research findings alongside professors at the state and/or national level.
Career options for early childhood education majors
As a graduate of the early childhood education program, students are equipped to secure positions such as:
- Public or private school teacher
- Nonprofit human service agency worker
- Graduate student
Internship and teaching opportunities for early childhood education majors
Messiah helps place students in a variety of education field experiences. A few examples include:
- Local public school class observations
- Junior-level field experience designing and implementing instructional plans
- Senior-year field work in 12-week student teaching experience
- Education department student work study
Learn more about the Department of Education
The Department of Education is housed in the School of Business, Education and Social Sciences. Learn more about the Department of Education by visiting our website, or check out some of the distinctives below.
- All full-time faculty hold terminal degrees.
- Faculty members are dedicated Christian scholars who mentor students through advising, field experience observations and open-door office hours. Student/professor conversations are welcome, easy and frequent.
- Faculty are involved in scholarship and publication through professional conferences, journals and books.
- Faculty have strong long-term relationships with local school districts, essential for positive field experiences and sufficient teaching.
- Presentations at state, nation, and international conferences, including co-presenting collaborative research with students.