Education with Teaching Certification in Grades PreK-4 at Messiah College
Messiah College’s early childhood (PreK- 4) education degree program prepares you to teach in preschools and grades K-4 in public and private schools.
We believe that teachers are problem-solving professionals. So, our early childhood education major develops your abilities to think, solve problems and make decisions in critical areas of education such as instructional planning, instructional delivery, assessment and classroom management.
Early childhood education major distinctives
As an early childhood education major at Messiah College, you’ll be able to:
- Specialize in an academic area, pick up a minor and participate in cocurricular activities such as athletics.
- Create a professional portfolio for potential employers.
- Become familiar with and administer standardized tests.
- Study abroad to compare education in other cultures.
- Design and implement your own instructional plans.
- Elect to do a department Honors project.
- Observe local public school classrooms.
- Attend statewide conferences and participate in competitions through the Messiah College Education Association chapter.
- Present research findings alongside professors at the state and/or national level.
Career options for early childhood education majors
As a graduate of the early childhood education program, students are equipped to secure positions such as:
- Public or private school teacher
- Nonprofit human service agency worker
- Graduate student
Internship and teaching opportunities for early childhood education majors
Messiah helps place students in a variety of education field experiences. A few examples include:
- Local public school class observations
- Junior-level field experience designing and implementing instructional plans
- Senior-year field work in 12-week student teaching experience
- Education department student work study
In addition to your education coursework, you develop a broad knowledge base by studying a wide variety of subjects such as mathematics, history, biology, literature, foreign language, psychology and the arts. As an education student, you also have the opportunity to deepen your knowledge of an academic subject of your choice by completing a 12-credit disciplinary focus.
As you go through our Bachelor of Science degree program that prepares you to teach early childhood education, you will combine your passion for teaching the youngest learners (pre-kindergarten through grade 4) with experience working at Messiah College’s on-site Early Learning Center (ELC). At the ELC you’ll assume administrative responsibilities, design the curriculum and implement instruction.
As you progress further through the education program, you also have extensive, supervised field opportunities offered off-campus in a variety of school, classroom and demographic settings throughout central Pennsylvania.
Our 100 percent pass rate on the Praxis II: Professional Knowledge Exam is just one indication of how well Messiah College prepares education students for teaching certification and jobs in early childhood education. Human resource recruiters seek out Messiah graduates, and school administrators who interview and hire our education graduates give consistently positive feedback about their instructional design skills.