Engineering at Messiah College
Be part of something much bigger than a classroom exercise. Messiah College’s unique engineering program allows students to develop projects with real world clients.
If you enjoy taking things apart to figure out how they work and make them better, then Messiah College's engineering program, which is accredited by the Engineering Accreditation Commission of ABET, http://www.abet.org/ might be the right fit for you.
The program provides a balance of technical knowledge, broad education and Christian faith, in addition to a variety of real life experiences through the College’s unique Integrated Projects Curriculum (IPC). In the IPC, you’ll work on projects that meet the needs of a real-world client. You’ll learn to think outside the box and engage problems in the broader context of environment, culture and economics by developing process, design, teamwork, leadership, project management and planning skills.
At Messiah College, you’ll find plenty of ways to link what you’re learning in the classroom with hands-on engineering experiences.
Engineering major distinctives
- Work towards an ABET-accredited BSE degree concentration in biomedical, civil, computer, electrical, environmental or mechanical engineering
- Learn to use powerful computer design tools such as SolidWorks, LabView, Multisim, Ultiboard and a microprocessor simulation package.
- Participate in the Integrated Projects Curriculum (IPC) which provides all engineering students with a five-semester sequence of credit-bearing opportunities to use what you learn in the classroom to solve authentic problems for local and international clients.
- Use state-of-the-art mechanical, electrical, environmental and biomedical engineering laboratories, as well as a professional machine shop and in-house circuit prototyping equipment.
- Work alongside other students in projects related to communications technology, assistance for disabled persons, sustainable energy, transportation technologies and water resources.
- Experiment with an automatic milling machine, manufacturing process lab, wind tunnel, machine shop, robotic assembly line, and even a biodiesel lab and solar power experimentation installation.
Career options for engineering majors
As a graduate of the engineering program, students are equipped to secure positions such as:
- Design engineer
- Manufacturing engineer
- Electrical engineer
- Environmental engineer
- Software engineer
- Mechanical engineer
- Civil engineer
- Biomedical engineer
- Computer engineer
- Professional engineers
For more information on career planning for the engineering program, visit the Messiah College Career and Professional Development Center.
Internship and research opportunities for engineering majors
Messiah’s nationally recognized internship program places students in a variety of engineering internships. A few examples include:
- Phoenix Contact
- Oakland University, MI
- NREIP, an Office of Naval Research (ONR)
- Hirshman Automation and Control
- Bureau of Diplomatic Security / U.S. State Department
- Hershey Medical Research
- World Vision
- The Collaboratory
Learn more about the Department of Engineering
The Department of Engineering is housed in the School of Science, Engineering and Health. Learn more about the Department of Engineering by visiting our website, or check out some of the distinctives below.
- 100 percent of faculty has terminal degrees.
- The Bachelor of Science in Engineering (BSE) degree is accredited by the Engineering Accreditation Commission of ABET, www.abet.org.
- The Collaboratory for Strategic Partnerships and Applied Research (The Collaboratory) is an interdisciplinary laboratory where students, faculty and community partners work together to develop appropriate technologies and creative applications that address pressing problems of our world.
- Recent projects include a light sport aircraft for medical missions, an
oxygen concentrator for hospitals in developing countries, electric and
hand powered vehicles for handicapped, solar power installations, water
filtration systems and remote virtual coaching of young adults with
Asperger's Syndrome and building bridges in Panama.
- Messiah was selected as one of six solar education sites by the state of Pennsylvania.
- The department has fully equipped electronics lab, mechanical lab, biomedical lab, machine shop, manufacturing process lab, biodiesel lab, professionally staff model shop and is in the process of expanding facilities for the civil concentration.