Engineering at Messiah College
Be part of something much bigger than a classroom exercise. Messiah College’s unique engineering program allows students to develop projects with real world clients.
If you enjoy taking things apart to figure out how they work and make them better, then Messiah College's engineering program, which is accredited by the Engineering Accreditation Commission of ABET, http://www.abet.org/ might be the right fit for you.
The program provides a balance of technical knowledge, broad education and Christian faith, in addition to a variety of real life experiences through the College’s unique Integrated Projects Curriculum (IPC). In the IPC, you’ll work on projects that meet the needs of a real-world client. You’ll learn to think outside the box and engage problems in the broader context of environment, culture and economics by developing process, design, teamwork, leadership, project management and planning skills.
At Messiah College, you’ll find plenty of ways to link what you’re learning in the classroom with hands-on engineering experiences.
Engineering major distinctives
- Work towards an ABET-accredited BSE degree concentration in biomedical, civil, computer, electrical, environmental or mechanical engineering
- Learn to use powerful computer design tools such as SolidWorks, LabView, Multisim, Ultiboard and a microprocessor simulation package.
- Participate in the Integrated Projects Curriculum (IPC) which provides all engineering students with a five-semester sequence of credit-bearing opportunities to use what you learn in the classroom to solve authentic problems for local and international clients.
- Use state-of-the-art mechanical, electrical, environmental and biomedical engineering laboratories, as well as a professional machine shop and in-house circuit prototyping equipment.
- Work alongside other students in projects related to communications technology, assistance for disabled persons, sustainable energy, transportation technologies and water resources.
- Experiment with an automatic milling machine, manufacturing process lab, wind tunnel, machine shop, robotic assembly line, and even a biodiesel lab and solar power experimentation installation.
Career options for engineering majors
As a graduate of the engineering program, students are equipped to secure positions such as:
- Design engineer
- Manufacturing engineer
- Electrical engineer
- Environmental engineer
- Software engineer
- Mechanical engineer
- Civil engineer
- Biomedical engineer
- Computer engineer
- Professional engineers
For more information on career planning for the engineering program, visit the Messiah College Career and Professional Development Center.
Internship and research opportunities for engineering majors
Messiah’s nationally recognized internship program places students in a variety of engineering internships. A few examples include:
- Phoenix Contact
- Oakland University, MI
- NREIP, an Office of Naval Research (ONR)
- Hirshman Automation and Control
- Bureau of Diplomatic Security / U.S. State Department
- Hershey Medical Research
- World Vision
- The Collaboratory
Learn more about the Department of Engineering
The Department of Engineering is housed in the School of Science, Engineering and Health. Learn more about the Department of Engineering by visiting our website, or check out some of the distinctives below.
- 100 percent of faculty has terminal degrees.
- The Bachelor of Science in Engineering (BSE) degree is accredited by the Engineering Accreditation Commission of ABET, www.abet.org.
- The Collaboratory for Strategic Partnerships and Applied Research (The Collaboratory) is an interdisciplinary laboratory where students, faculty and community partners work together to develop appropriate technologies and creative applications that address pressing problems of our world.
- Recent projects include a light sport aircraft for medical missions, an
oxygen concentrator for hospitals in developing countries, electric and
hand powered vehicles for handicapped, solar power installations, water
filtration systems and remote virtual coaching of young adults with
Asperger's Syndrome and building bridges in Panama.
- Messiah was selected as one of six solar education sites by the state of Pennsylvania.
- The department has fully equipped electronics lab, mechanical lab, biomedical lab, machine shop, manufacturing process lab, biodiesel lab, professionally staff model shop and is in the process of expanding facilities for the civil concentration.
First things first: Can you accomplish your career goals at Messiah College? Secondly, how can Messiah College make this quality education financially comfortable for you and your family? Let’s find out.
We invite you to visit Messiah’s campus. Whether you attend an Open House, schedule a personal tour or opt to stay overnight, you’ll find that spending time on our beautiful campus is an excellent way to gauge whether you could call Messiah home.Visit Campus
Messiah’s admissions team is ready to walk you through the application process and answer your questions. Identify your personal counselor based on their geographical territory or their area of specialty.
Take a minute or two and fill out the inquiry form. That allows us to stay in touch and provide you with more information about the programs and people of interest to you at Messiah.
1Fill out the application
Begin your Messiah College application by selecting your desired program in the blue box and click “apply.”
2Complete application file
Admissions decisions are released Sept. 15. After that date, once your application file is complete, you can expect a decision from us within 2-3 weeks.
- Write a personal statement (included in application)
- Pay a $20 application fee (unless waived prior to Nov. 15)
- Provide a high school transcript
- Send SAT/ACT scores
Messiah College does not discriminate on the basis of gender, race, color, age, disability or national or ethnic origin in the administration of its educational policies, scholarship and loan programs, and athletic or other College-administered programs. Messiah College does reserve the right to revoke admission or readmission in the event of an applicant’s misrepresentations in any phase of the application process.
Messiah College’s Campus Security Report and Safety and Security Information are posted on the Department of Safety web site at http://www.messiah.edu/offices/safety/report.html. Information includes statistics regarding the incidence of campus crime over the past three years, as well as details about our safety and security practices. Related material can be found on the U.S. Department of Education website at http://www.ope.ed.gov/security/. If you would like additional information, clarification or a paper copy, please contact the Department of Safety at 717-766-2511, ext. 6005.
This serves as notification to current and prospective students that, pursuant to Section 486 of the Higher Education Act, Messiah College’s six-year graduation rate and other retention/graduation data are available online. A hard copy will be provided upon request by contacting the Institutional Research Office. View the statistics online.
- Start checking your Messiah email account regularly to watch for important updates and timelines.
- Celebrate! Take a picture of you and your acceptance letter and tag it #messiahcollege.
- Review and accept your financial aid package.
- Continue checking Messiah College email account for important updates, such as dealines for course registration (June) and housing signups (begins early March).
- Count down the days!