- CEEED: The Center for Employment, Education and Entrepreneurial Development (CEEED) offers a number of opportunties for students to volunteer to help with English and ESL classes in the Harrisburg area. These include:
- English Classes: Adult English classes are available for people that have moved to the area from other countries and need to learn/improve their English speaking skills.
- Beginner ESL Classes: Student volunteers can help migrant workers, their families, and other adults learn English by assisting with classes. No Spanish skills are necessary.
- Intermediate ESL Classes: These classes are for adult students who have become more proficient in their English skills. The focus is more on grammar and usage rather than vocabulary. Helping in this class involves practicing conversational skills and assisting with projects.
- Trips from Messiah are made on Tuesday and Thursday nights from 5:30-8:30pm
- Danzante Community Arts Center: Assist with Hip Hop, Ballet, Flamenco lessons, and Spanish Classes, drumming or crafts with kids. Please visit the Danzante website for additional information: www.danzante.org.
Thursday evenings from 3:30-6:30pm
- Migrant Education Retreat: Host a middle school or high school student during the migrant-ed retreat! Volunteers generally meet their student the evening the retreat starts, hosts them in their rooms overnight and hang out with them on campus until brunch the following day. The group activities are paid for by Outreach Teams, as is transportation if college vehicles are used.
J-Term 2014 retreat will be held on January 24-25, 2014.