The Agapé Center for Service and Learning develops, administers, resources, and coordinates programs of service-learning, community service, and mission, contributing to the mission of Messiah College to "educate men and women toward maturity of intellect, character, and Christian faith in preparation for lives of service, leadership, and reconciliation in church and society." Students, faculty, and staff work with community-based partners in local, national, and international settings to address community needs, to provide holistic learning opportunities for students, and to encourage students toward an ethic of discipleship, service, and civic engagement.
To accomplish this mission we are committed to:
- Support faculty in developing and/or re-designing courses to incorporate service-learning;
- Cultivate reciprocity and mutuality with community partners;
- Provide committed and trained students to work at significant community issues through authentic community agencies;
- Encourage and equip students to become servant leaders;
- Provide significant learning opportunities, that include reflection;
- Embody a holistic theology that incorporates word and deed;
- Integrate reconciliation, working for righteousness and justice throughout our programs;
- Challenge students to embrace a lifelong "vocation" of discipleship and service in their occupations, churches, communities, and world.