Benefits of Service-Learning
What Can Students Gain from Service-Learning?
- Leads to a greater understanding of concepts and skills studied in the classroom.
- Provides hands-on experience.
- Provides a forum for deeper vocational identity, spiritual worldview, and leadership development.
- Leads to a rich commitment to life-long service.
- Offers opportunities to apply understanding of civic engagement responsibilities.
- Leads to a deeper commitment to justice and reconciliation.
What Can Faculty Gain from Service-Learning?
- Provides students with greater understanding of their subject.
- Leads to personal satisfaction in knowing that students are making a difference in their communities.
- Offers a renewed challenge in understanding and applying subject matter.
- Provides academic credentials in applying a unique, respected, and valued pedagogy.
- Provides research, grant, and publication opportunities.
What Can Community Partners Gain from Service-Learning?
- Creates greater awareness of community needs.
- Provides potential long-term volunteers.
- Expands opportunities for educational partnerships.
- Provides access to campus resources.