Family and Consumer Sciences at Messiah College
Your passion for improving the lives of families – the basic building block of society-- can lead to a rewarding career in a profession that is currently in high-demand.
Passionate about the well-being of families, children, teenagers and older adults? Thinking about a career focused on making a fundamental difference in the lives of others? Then check out Messiah’s fully accredited family and consumer sciences education major. One of only three such majors in Pennsylvania, Messiah’s program teaches you how to enhance the well-being of others by providing them with practical knowledge about everyday life issues like child development, family dynamics, foods and nutrition, and more.
You’ll delve into topics which enhance individual and family development. And beyond the classroom, this major at Messiah will also give you lots of hands-on opportunities to participate in school settings, develop curricula, and work one-on-one with our faculty.
Family and consumer sciences education major distinctives
As a family and consumer sciences major at Messiah College, you’ll be able to:
- Take courses in human development and family science, education, food and nutrition and early childhood education.
- Join the Messiah College Council on Family Relations (MCCFR) – a student professional organization affiliated with the National Council on Family Relations.
- Attend professional conferences and even co-present papers with faculty.
- Study abroad for a semester.
- Be well prepared for a career as a school counselor.
- Develop an independent study program in an area of family science that particularly interests you.
- Network with others at a department retreat, alumni career panel or (as appropriate) through the "Men of Human Development and Family Science (HDFS)" group.
- Become an Open House Diplomat and share information and your enthusiasm about the department with prospective students.
- Earn a Smith Scholar internship, which allows qualified students to work in apprentice relationships with faculty members.
- Learn about children by observing at the campus Early Learning Center (ELC).
Career options for family and consumer sciences education majors
As a graduate of the family and consumer sciences education program, students are equipped to secure positions such as:
- FCSE teacher
- Case manager
- Parent mentors
- Youth counselors
- Early intervention teacher
- Pre-school teacher
Internship and teaching opportunities for family and consumer sciences education majors
Messiah helps place students in a variety of family and consumer sciences education experiential learning opportunities. A few examples include:
- Students interact with various populations of people and agencies through service-learning course requirements
- All FACS majors experience at least four different field placements, including urban and suburban middle and high schools, as well as our own NAEYC accredited Messiah College Early Learning Center (ELC).
- Required student teaching experience and curriculum development.