French at Messiah College
Immerse yourself in the French language, culture and literature both at Messiah and abroad.
As a French major at Messiah College, you’ll spend one or two semesters at Catholique de Paris, France or Université de Paris (la Sorbonne); live with a French family; and even complete an internship through Internships with Francophone Europe, if you desire.
Here at Messiah, you’ll find yourself immersed in the French language, culture and literature as you learn from faculty who have both studied and lived in French-speaking regions of the world. Through challenging coursework, you’ll develop linguistic competence and critical skills, as well as a profound appreciation of the culture and civilization of the French-speaking peoples.
Our graduates have found rewarding employment in many areas of interest – some as librarians; one as the director of Brethren Colleges Abroad (BCA) in Strasbourg, France; and another as a tour guide in Paris. Others are teachers both here and abroad. One is the chair of a language department, and another is a translator at the French Embassy. A degree in French from Messiah prepares you well for career choices like these and more. You’ll be ready to meet the strong international demand for students with advanced training in modern languages and cultures.
French major distinctives
- Complete an internship through Internships with Francophone Europe. The program includes a five-week intensive training course to prepare students for a twelve-week internship with a French company.
- Choose a secondary major or two minors. (The French major at Messiah is a 42-hour requirement.)
- Take advanced courses dealing intensively with individual authors or periods of special significance.
- Use our state-of-the-art Beatriz Howe Language Laboratory where you can improve your listening comprehension, speaking and pronunciation skills in French.
Career options for French majors
As a graduate of the French program, students are equipped to secure positions such as:
- Director of Brethren Colleges Abroad (BCA), Strasbourg, France
- Tour guide in Paris
- High school teacher
- French Embassy, Washington, D.C.
- Teaching English at French school
Internship opportunities for French majors
Messiah’s nationally recognized internship program places students in a variety of French internships. A few examples include:
- Internships with Francophone Europe program between semesters at Université de Strasbourg in France
- Students completing the French teaching certification also complete the required student teaching experience
Learn more about the Department of Modern Languages
- The Department is accredited nationally through the Accreditation Council for Business Schools and Programs (ACBSP)
- State-of-the-art technology with extensive language software is available in the Beatriz Howe language lab.
- Modern language students take an intensive semester in Paris, France; Marburg, Germany; China; Valparaiso, Chile; or Barcelona, Spain.
- Teaching certification is available in French, German and Spanish languages.
- Language proficiency is evaluated according to the guidelines of the American Council for the Teaching of Foreign Languages (ACTFL)
- Students learn how to think and read critically, speak clearly and interact with others around the globe.
- Professors lead cross-cultural courses, conduct research, publish and present papers nationally and internationally.
- Among our professors is one who is a translator and interpreter; another who has transcribed books; and several who have studied, taught, traveled, worked and lived abroad.