French at Messiah College
Immerse yourself in the French language, culture and literature both at Messiah and abroad.
"Ici on parle français!" "French is spoken here!" As a French major at Messiah College, one of the top private Christian colleges in the U.S., you’ll spend one semester at the Institut Catholique de Paris and learn the language, culture and literature of France.
French major distinctives
- Spend a semester studying in France.
- Choose a secondary major or two minors. (The French major at Messiah is a 42-hour requirement.)
- Take advanced courses dealing intensively with individual authors or periods of special significance.
- Use our state-of-the-art Beatriz Howe Language Laboratory where you can improve your listening comprehension, speaking and pronunciation skills in French.
Career options for French majors
As a graduate of the French program, students are equipped to secure positions such as:
- Director of Accés Study Abroad, Strasbourg, France
- Tour guide in Paris
- High school teacher
- French Embassy, Washington, D.C.
- Teaching English at French school
Internship opportunities for French majors
Messiah’s nationally recognized internship program places students in a variety of French internships. A few examples include:
- Internships secured through the college's internship program
- Students completing the French teaching certification also complete the required student teaching experience
Why study French?
French is spoken on five continents. Today, there are 274 million French speakers in more than 55 countries. The OIF (Organisation internationale de la Francophonie) estimates that the number of French speakers will rise to over 700 million by 2050, 80% of whom will be in Africa. While this includes only 8% of the global population, in terms of world trade it represents 20%. As a French major, or in combination with another major, you are improving your ability to communicate globally, increasing your ability to understand other cultures and ethnic groups, enhancing your English skills and understanding of your own culture, as well as improving your employment opportunities.
While studying at Messiah, you’ll find yourself immersed in the French language, culture and literature as you learn from faculty who have both studied and lived in French-speaking regions of the world. Through challenging coursework, you’ll develop linguistic competence and critical skills, as well as a profound appreciation of the culture and civilization of French-speaking people.
Our graduates have found rewarding employment in many areas of interest – some as librarians; one as the director of Accés Study Abroad in Strasbourg, France; and another as a tour guide in Paris. Others are teachers both here and abroad. One is the chair of a language department, and another is a translator at the French Embassy. A degree in French from Messiah prepares you well for career choices like these and more. You’ll be ready to meet the strong international demand for students with advanced training in modern languages and cultures.