China Studies Program
THIS PROGRAM WILL NOT BE OFFERED 2016-2017 WHILE BESTSEMESTER EVALUATES POSSIBLE REVISIONS.
Experience firsthand the daily realities of this powerful country by living at Xiamen University and spending time in Hong Kong, Xi’an, Shanghai, Beijing, and an area of rural China. The program includes Chinese language study, courses in Chinese history, contemporary society, and intercultural communication as well as possible business internships. Opportunities like weekly English language tutoring sessions help CSP students develop relationships with the students of Xiamen University while developing language proficiency.
More information available at China Studies Program.
Experiential Learning Initiative - ELI
All Messiah approved semester-long, off-campus programs are approved and designed to meet the requirements for the Experiential Learning Initiative (ELI). To learn more about the process, please explore the ELI Off-Campus Study Information Page.
- Students will complete all of the Experiential Learning Initiative (ELI) requirements that are a part of this program.
- Two full years of college
- Will accept sophomores in extenuating circumstances.
- 2.75 GPA or higher
Since studying off-campus for a semester is a privilege, please note the following implications of being place on probation at Messiah College:
Chapel Probation: A student currently on chapel probation for the first time (or with an impending chapel probation for the upcoming semester) will be required to meet with the Director of the Intercultural Office to determine the potential impact on the student’s upcoming semester off-campus. If a student has been placed on chapel probation more than once during their time at Messiah, they will not be eligible to study off-campus for a semester.
Academic Probation or Low GPA: A student on academic probation or whose GPA drops below 2.75 will be not be eligible to study off-campus.
Disciplinary Probation: A student who has been placed on disciplinary probation at any time during the off-campus study application / acceptance process will be required to meet with the Director of the Intercultural Office to determine the potential impact on the student’s upcoming semester off-campus.
- Courses may meet major or general education requirements.
- Courses will appear on Messiah transcripts with letter grades.
- Students will meet their third language/cross-cultural requirement by participating in this program. Students will not earn 3 credits, rather the requirement will be waived.
Messiah Pre-Approval Deadlines
- Fall - December 1
- Spring – April 1
China Studies Program Deadline
- Fall - June 1
- Spring - November 1
Rolling admissions; students are strongly encouraged to apply early
Messiah tuition, room, board, and student services fee.
- tuition, housing, meals
- educational excursions
- pre-depature and re-entry orientation
- international travel insurance
- Note: additional fees students may encounter include (but are not limited to) transportation, visas, passports, immunizations, and course fees.
Explore possible scholarships for this program.
|Contemporary Society: Public Policy and Economic Development||
|Chinese I (3 credit) and Chinese II (must take the six-credits to fulfill two language courses)||
||6 credits of language|
|Eastern Philosophy and Religion||
|Physical Education (Tai Chi)||
|Dimensions of East Asian Culture||
|Participation in the Program||