Latin American Studies Program
Students study Latin American economics, culture, politics, and faith when they journey to Costa Rica for seventeen weeks of travel, study and service. The San Jose-based Latin American Studies Program includes home stays, language study, service projects, and travel to other Central American countries. Students who prefer a specialized experience can choose from concentrations in Latin American Studies, Advanced Language and Literature, International Business (fall) and Environmental Science (spring).
- Juniors and seniors
- 2.75 GPA or higher
- two semesters of college-level Spanish. (Messiah College language faculty believe that students should complete at least three semesters of Spanish in order to be culturally sensitive during home stays in Costa Rica).
- Courses may meet some general education or major requirements.
- Courses taken will appear on Messiah transcripts with letter grades.
- Students will meet their third language/cross-cultural requirement by participating in this program. Students will not earn 3 credits, rather the requirement will be waived.
Messiah tuition, room, board, and student services fee plus $1,200 off-campus study fee.
- tuition, housing, meals
- educational excursions
- pre-departure, and re-entry orientation
Note: additional fees students may encounter include (but are not limited to) transportation, visas, passports, immunizations, and course fees.
Explore possible scholarships for this program.
Messiah Pre-Approval Deadlines
- Fall - December 1
- Spring – April 1
Latin American Studies Program Deadlines
- Fall - June 1
- Spring - November 1
Rolling admissions; students are strongly encouraged to apply early