Latin American Studies Program
Students study Latin American economics, culture, politics, and faith when they journey to Costa Rica for seventeen weeks of travel, study and service. The San Jose-based Latin American Studies Program includes home stays, language study, service projects, and travel to other Central American countries. Students who prefer a specialized experience can choose from concentrations in Latin American Studies, Advanced Language and Literature, International Business (fall) and Biological Science (spring).
More information available at Latin American Studies Program.
Experiential Learning Initiative - ELI
All Messiah approved semester-long, off-campus programs are approved and designed to meet the requirements for the Experiential Learning Initiative (ELI). To learn more about the process, please explore the ELI Off-Campus Study Information Page.
- Students will complete all of the Experiential Learning Initiative (ELI) requirements that are a part of this program.
- Juniors and seniors
- 2.75 GPA or higher
- Two semesters of college-level Spanish. (Messiah College language faculty believe that students should complete at least three semesters of Spanish in order to be culturally sensitive during home stays in Costa Rica).
Since studying off-campus for a semester is a privilege, please note the following implications of being place on probation at Messiah College:
Chapel Probation: A student currently on chapel probation for the first time (or with an impending chapel probation for the upcoming semester) will be required to meet with the Director of the Intercultural Office to determine the potential impact on the student’s upcoming semester off-campus. If a student has been placed on chapel probation more than once during their time at Messiah, they will not be eligible to study off-campus for a semester.
Academic Probation or Low GPA: A student on academic probation or whose GPA drops below 2.75 will be not be eligible to study off-campus.
Disciplinary Probation: A student who has been placed on disciplinary probation at any time during the off-campus study application / acceptance process will be required to meet with the Director of the Intercultural Office to determine the potential impact on the student’s upcoming semester off-campus.
- Courses may meet some general education or major requirements.
- Courses taken will appear on Messiah transcripts with letter grades.
- Students will meet their third language/cross-cultural requirement by participating in this program. Students will not earn 3 credits, rather the requirement will be waived.
Messiah tuition, room, board, and student services fee.
- tuition, housing, meals
- educational excursions
- pre-departure, and re-entry orientation
- international travel insurance
Note: additional fees students may encounter include (but are not limited to) transportation, visas, passports, immunizations, and course fees.
Explore possible scholarships for this program.
Messiah Pre-Approval Deadlines
- Fall - December 1
- Spring – April 1
Latin American Studies Program Deadlines
- Fall - June 1
- Spring - November 1
Rolling admissions; students are strongly encouraged to apply early