Pontifical Catholic University of Valparaiso
Located on the coastline of Chile between the Andes Mountains and the Pacific Ocean, Valparaiso offers hilltop vistas, beaches, and abundant cultural opportunities. By learning from Spanish professors and by studying with Spanish peers, students will rapidly improve their Spanish skills. Students enhance their Spanish language exposure by living in homestays with Chilean families.
More information available at ISA: Chile.
Dr. Kim Yunez, Boyer 155, 717.766.2511 Ext. 2670
Experiential Learning Initiative - ELI
All Messiah approved semester-long, off-campus programs are approved and designed to meet the requirements for the Experiential Learning Initiative (ELI). To learn more about the process, please explore the ELI Off-Campus Study Information Page.
- Students will complete all of the Experiential Learning Initiative (ELI) requirements that are a part of this program.
- Sophomore, juniors, and seniors
- 2.75 GPA or higher
- Four semesters of college-level Spanish
Since studying off-campus for a semester is a privilege, please note the following implications of being place on probation at Messiah College:
Chapel Probation: A student currently on chapel probation for the first time (or with an impending chapel probation for the upcoming semester) will be required to meet with the Director of the Intercultural Office to determine the potential impact on the student’s upcoming semester off-campus. If a student has been placed on chapel probation more than once during their time at Messiah, they will not be eligible to study off-campus for a semester.
Academic Probation or Low GPA: A student on academic probation or whose GPA drops below 2.75 will be not be eligible to study off-campus.
Disciplinary Probation: A student who has been placed on disciplinary probation at any time during the off-campus study application / acceptance process will be required to meet with the Director of the Intercultural Office to determine the potential impact on the student’s upcoming semester off-campus.
- Courses may meet general education or major requirements.
- Course disciplines include history, business, art, geography, literature, psychology, education, religious studies and sciences.
- Courses will appear on Messiah transcripts with a letter grade.
Messiah tuition, room, board, and student services fee.
- tuition, housing (homestay), meals
- educational excursions
- pre-departure, and re-entry orientation
- international travel insurance
Note: additional fees students may encounter include (but are not limited to) transportation, visas, passports, immunizations, and course fees.
Explore possible scholarships for this program.
Messiah Pre-Approval Deadlines
- Fall - December 1
- Spring – April 1
ISA: Chile Deadlines
- Fall - April 1
- Spring - November 1
Program and Travel Resources
- Centers for Disease Control: Chile
- El Mercurio de Valpariaso
- ISA Worldwide Alerts
- State Department: Chile
- State Department: Students Abroad
- Worldwide Factbook: Chile
ISA Study Abroad Social Media