Walk the streets of Rome for a semester, amid historic architecture and famous sites dating from classical civilization! The Villa Caproni, by the Tiber River in the center of Rome, houses the program’s academic facilities including an extensive library and art studios. Students live in 3-person apartments within walking and bus distance of the Villa Caproni and take classes from Temple University professors.
Additional information available at Temple Rome.
Experiential Learning Initiative - ELI
All Messiah approved semester-long, off-campus programs are approved and designed to meet the requirements for the Experiential Learning Initiative (ELI). To learn more about the process, please explore the ELI Off-Campus Study Information Page.
- Students will complete all of the Experiential Learning Initiative (ELI) requirements that are a part of this program.
- Junior or senior (will consider sophomores with extenuating circumstances)
- 2.75 GPA to qualify for the program.
Since studying off-campus for a semester is a privilege, please note the following implications of being place on probation at Messiah College:
Chapel Probation: A student currently on chapel probation for the first time (or with an impending chapel probation for the upcoming semester) will be required to meet with the Director of the Intercultural Office to determine the potential impact on the student’s upcoming semester off-campus. If a student has been placed on chapel probation more than once during their time at Messiah, they will not be eligible to study off-campus for a semester.
Academic Probation or Low GPA: A student on academic probation or whose GPA drops below 2.75 will be not be eligible to study off-campus.
Disciplinary Probation: A student who has been placed on disciplinary probation at any time during the off-campus study application / acceptance process will be required to meet with the Director of the Intercultural Office to determine the potential impact on the student’s upcoming semester off-campus.
- Courses may meet some general education or major requirements.
- Courses taken will appear on Messiah transcripts with letter grades.
- Students will meet their third language/cross-cultural requirement by participating in this program. Students will not earn 3 credits, rather the requirement will be waived.
Because of the high cost of this program, participation is capped at 9 students per academic year.
PA residents: Messiah tuition, room, and student services fee.
Non-PA residents: Messiah tuition, room, and students services fee plus $1,800 off-campus study fee.*
- tuition and housing
- educational excursions
- predeparture, and re-entry orientation
- international travel insurance
- Meals are not included.
- Additional fees students may encounter include (but not limited to) transportation, visas, passports, immunizations, and course fees.
- Course fees and off-campus study fees will be added to students' bill once the semester has begun and Temple invoices Messiah for these charges.
- Students are responsible for their own transportation to and from this program.
Explore possible scholarships for this program.
*Note: Off-campus study fee increases annually at the same rate as the yearly tuition increase.
Messiah Pre-Approval Deadlines
- Fall - December 1
- Spring – April 1
Temple Rome Deadlines
- Fall - April 1
- Spring - October 1