- Journalism (B.A.)
The study of Journalism at Messiah College reaches across multi-media platforms, including both new media and traditional media such as online media, television, radio and newspaper/magazine, and reflects
the fast-paced changes occurring in this field today.
As a journalism major at Messiah College, you’ll develop the creative and critical thinking skills in high demand by many of today's employers. Taking a minor is also required to help apply your growing journalistic skills to a particular area of expertise, such as environmental science, economics, politics, religion, urban studies, and more!
You'll gain practical experience through required participation in The Pulse: Messiah College Media Hub where all student-run media on campus (newspaper, yearbook, television and radio station) are integrated into a multi-media lab environment which simulates the changing and converging landscape of contemporary journalism.
At Messiah, you’ll explore the often-complex nature of contemporary media, while being encouraged to think and act responsibly about the relationship between Christian faith and journalistic practices. Additional hands-on experiences such as work-study programs, internships, interacting with visiting writers, engaging in classroom discussions and studying for at least one semester at our Philadelphia Campus at Temple University will fully prepare you for an exciting career in journalism, broadcasting, public relations, marketing, missions, or for graduate school.
As a journalism major at Messiah College, you’ll be able to:
- Write and/or edit for our award-winning student newspaper, The Swinging Bridge, or The Clarion, our yearbook — each integrated into the multi-media lab.
- Complete one year as an editor or a section editor of our student newspaper.
- Gain valuable work experience as a tutor in our writing center.
- Pursue an individualized honors program with a faculty member.
- Intern with local electronic media outlets such as The Harrisburg Patriot-News, The York Daily Record, WHTM-TV27 (local ABC affiliate) and Central PA Magazine, or while studying at the Philadelphia Campus, with the major newspapers, radio stations, and television network affiliates within this large metropolitan region.
- Earn a spot among the nation’s brightest young students in Alpha Upsilon, Messiah’s chapter in Sigma Tau Delta, the National English Honors Society.
- Delve into a wide range of challenging and fun courses such as Reviewing Theatre/Music, Editing the News, Sports Writing, Reporting, and even Humor Writing.