- Mathematics (B.A.) with Secondary Teaching Certification
Mathematics (B.A.) with Secondary Teaching Certification
Messiah’s math major with an option for a secondary teaching certification and/or a statistics minor is unique among Christian colleges of comparable size.
A degree in mathematics from Messiah College will challenge you to integrate your Christian faith and the field of mathematical sciences. Our classical Bachelor of Arts (BA) degree in mathematics provides a broad-based program with a liberal arts emphasis, ensuring you’ll have not only the required analytical and technical skills, but you’ll also be a great communicator with a solid writing and interdisciplinary foundation.
By going beyond the realm of facts and numbers, you’ll develop the skills sought in almost every sector of the job market including engineering, science, telecommunications, computer services and software, aerospace, automotive, chemicals and pharmaceuticals, government, and more. And if teaching interests you, Messiah’s teacher education program equips you with excellent preparation to teach mathematics in public or private settings.
As a mathematics major at Messiah College, you could:
- Travel with faculty on a math education cross-cultural course to West Africa.
- Present your work professionally at our annual Science Engineering & Health Symposium on campus or regionally and/or nationally at professional meetings attended by students and faculty.
- Learn from faculty who have research interests in areas such as nonparametric statistics, regression analysis, recreational mathematics and international mathematics education.
- Pursue a minor in statistics or double major in a variety of fields that interest you.
- Take advanced, graduate-level courses at the Grantham campus and/or the Philadelphia campus.
- Receive a complimentary student journal membership to the Mathematical Association of America and the American Statistical Association.
- Work alongside other students in projects related to communications technology, assistance for disabled persons, sustainable energy, transportation technologies, and water resources.
Concentrations in this Major:
- item 1
- item 2
- item 3
Messiah College math students are regularly selected for the competitive National Science Foundation summer research programs.