- Molecular Biology (B.S.)
Molecular Biology (B.S.)
Learn about living systems at the molecular level by participating in hands-on lab experiences.
If you enjoy learning about the structure and function of living systems and life processes or are curious about genes and how cells and organisms metabolize, grow, reproduce, interact, and adapt, then a degree in molecular biology could be right for you. At Messiah College, you’ll find this major provides hands-on experience in manipulating and analyzing genes and their protein products. You’ll even get to use specialized software to see molecular structures such as DNA.
You also could delve into credit-bearing research opportunities at nearby Penn State Hershey College of Medicine or become one of Messiah’s candidates for summer Research Experience for Undergraduates (REU) programs. Or maybe an on-campus summer research program working with familiar faculty in a research lab - complete with a stipend - might be something you’d like to consider.
At Messiah, you’ll find countless opportunities to investigate the world of macromolecules, genes, nucleic acids, proteins, lipids, carbohydrates and more!
At Messiah, you'll benefit from our strong emphasis on credit-bearing undergraduate research and a solid foundation in introductory biology and chemistry, cell biology, genetics, molecular biology, and biochemistry.
As a biochemistry and molecular biology major at Messiah College, you’ll be able to:
- Present your work at off-campus scientific meetings, such as the Pennsylvania Academy of Sciences.
- Use a a real-time polymerase chain reaction (PCR) machine, flourescence microscopes, and tissue culture hoods and incubators.
- Conduct standard molecular biology manipulations such as agarose electrophoresis, UV transilluminators, digital photography, and computer image analysis.
- Work as a lab assistant, tutor, or supplementary instruction leader in the department.
- Create a computer model of a protein structure.
- Participate in the School of Health and Natural Sciences Fall and Spring Research Symposia.
- Take courses with Messiah's Biological Sciences department faculty in destinations such as Costa Rica, New Zealand, and Zambia.