Messiah College Teacher Education Program
The Messiah College Teacher Education Program prepares students in a number of areas of teacher certification. The Teacher Education Program is governed by the Teacher Education Committee in compliance with regulations established by the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania for the PA Instructional I Teaching Certificate.
Read more about our mission.
Fall 2016 Dates
- Aug. 8 - All Day Co-Teaching Training for Teachers & Principals NOT participating in fall experiences, 8-4, Hostetter Chapel
- Aug. 29 - TB Clinic, 1-2:30 p.m., Boyer Alcove, for all students in fall TEP field experiences
- Aug. 30 - TEP 420 Orientation, 10:45-11:45 a.m., B102
- Aug. 31 - TB Check for 8/29 test, 10:30-11:30 a.m., Boyer Alcove
- Aug. 31 - Student Teacher Orientation, 4-5 p.m., B331
- Sept. 6, 8, 13, 15, 20, & 22 - TEP 210 Orientation, 10:30-11:45 a.m., F110
- Sept. 6 - TB Clinic, 11 a.m.-12:30 p.m., Boyer Alcove
- Sept. 6 - Student Teacher Orientation w supervisors, 4-5:30 p.m., B336
- Sept. 7, Co-Teaching Training for fall teacher candidates, cooperating teachers, supervisors, and principals, 3-6 p.m. AND Pairs Workshop, 6-8 p.m., Hostetter Chapel
- Sept. 8 - TEP 312 Orientation w supervisors, 8-10 a.m., F110
- Sept. 8 - TB Check for 9/6/ test, 11 a.m.-12:30 p.m., Boyer Alcove
- Sept. 13 - Instructional Design Refresher for Student Teachers, 4-5:30 p.m., B330
- Sept. 15 - TEP 310&316 Orientation w supervisors, 8-10 a.m., F110
- Sept. 15 - Scholarship Reception, 4-5 p.m., Howe Atrium. All are welcome to join us in celebrating the 16-17 scholarship winners.
- Sept. 19 - Student Teaching Begins
- Sept. 22 - High Impact Strategies @ CAIU for fall student teachers
- Sept. 26 - First Year Meeting, 5-5:45 p.m., F110
- Oct. 4 - Mentor Teacher Dinner, 6-8 p.m., Howe Atrium
- Oct. 26-28 PAC-TE Fall Meeting, Harrisburg
- Dec. 15 - Student Teacher Portfolio Fair, 8:30-11:30 a.m., Howe Atrium
Approval to offer teaching certification in Chinese (K-12) was approved by PDE this fall. We are one of only a few college/universities in Pennsylvania to offer this certification.
International Student Teaching
Students now have the opportunity to complete part of their student teaching in an international setting. Messiah College partners with CCTECC, an organization that arranges placements in international schools. More information about this opportunity is posted on our international opportunities page (see link on left). See this article on the Messiah website.
Special Education Certification
Grades PK-4 certification undergraduate students have the opportunity to add a second certification in Special Education (PreK-8) as part of their undergraduate program. Undergraduate students in other majors, who are interested in adding special education cannot complete a dual certification as an undergraduate, but they can add classes as a undergraduate that they can then use toward completion of a post-baccalaureate program with a combination of undergraduate and graduate courses. Course Equivalencies for Post-Baccalaureate Special Education
We encourage students, prospective students, parents, alumni, and department faculty to follow us on twitter and/or Facebook. We post reminders, job postings, changes in requirements, and other opportunities on our TEP twitter @MCTEP1 and Facebook accounts. Of course, we also send important information to students in targeted emails and e-newsletters, but it will most likely be posted first on Facebook/twitter.