Messiah College Teacher Education Program
The Messiah College Teacher Education Program prepares students in a number of areas of teacher certification. The Teacher Education Program is governed by the Teacher Education Committee in compliance with regulations established by the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania for the PA Instructional I Teaching Certificate.
Read more about our mission.
TEP HeadlinesSpring 2017 Dates
- Jan. 10 - Instructional Design Refresher for Student Teachers, 4:15-5:30 p.m., B131
- Jan. 12 - Student Teacher Orientation, 4-5:30 p.m., B131
- Jan. 18 - Co-teaching Training, 3-6 p.m.; Pairs Workshop, 6-8 p.m., Hostetter Chapel
- Jan. 19 - Teacher Education Committee meeting, 4-5 p.m., B430
- Jan. 24 - High Impact Strategies, 8-3:30, CAIU
- Jan. 30 - Student Teaching begins
- Jan. 31 TEP 310 Orientation, 8-10 a.m., B102
- Jan. 31 - TEP 420 Orientation, 10:45-11:45 a.m., Boyer 102
- Jan. 31 - TEP 210 Orientation and TB Testing, 10:45-11:30 a.m., B231
- Feb. 2 - TEP 314/318 Orientation, 8-10 a.m., F150
- Feb. 2 TEP 210 Orientation and TB Testing, 10:45-11:30 a.m., B231
- Feb. 2 - Special Education Internship begins
- Feb. 7, 9, 14, 16 - TEP 210 Orientation 8:30-11:45 a.m., B231
- Feb. 16 - Teacher Education Committee meeting, 9:30-10:30 a.m., B231
- Feb. 19 - TEP Dinner & Movie for alumni HS teachers and their students
- Feb. 21 - TEP 210 Round 1 begins
- Feb. 23 - Mentor Teacher Appreciation Dinner, 6-8 p.m., B136
- Feb. 23 - Scholarship Applications due at 12 noon
- Mar. 23 - Teacher Education Committee meeting, 9:30-10:30 a.m., B231
- Mar. 28 - TEP 210 Field trip day
- Mar. 30 - TEP 210 Round 2 begins
- Mar. 31 - Accepted Student Preview Day
- Apr. 6 & 11 - Project Wild, 9 a.m. - 3:30 p.m., K202
- Apr. 20 - Service Day
- Apr. 27 - Teacher Education Committee meeting, 9:30-10:30 a.m., B231
- May 2 - Last day of classes
- May 3 - Commissioning Service for graduating seniors, Details TBD
- May 4-9 - Final exams
- May 12 - Commencement
Approval to offer teaching certification in Chinese (K-12) was approved by PDE. We are one of only a few college/universities in Pennsylvania to offer this certification.
International Student Teaching
Students have the opportunity to complete part of their student teaching in an international setting. Messiah College partners with CCTECC, an organization that arranges placements in international schools. More information about this opportunity is posted on our international opportunities page (see link on left). See this article on the Messiah website.
Special Education Certification
Grades PK-4 certification undergraduate students have the opportunity to add a second certification in Special Education (PreK-8) as part of their undergraduate program. Undergraduate students in other majors, who are interested in adding special education cannot complete a dual certification as an undergraduate, but they can add classes as a undergraduate that they can then use toward completion of a post-baccalaureate program with a combination of undergraduate and graduate courses. Course Equivalencies for Post-Baccalaureate Special Education
We encourage students, prospective students, parents, alumni, and department faculty to follow us on twitter and/or Facebook. We post reminders, job postings, changes in requirements, and other opportunities on our TEP twitter @MCTEP1 and Facebook accounts. Of course, we also send important information to students in targeted emails and e-newsletters, but it will most likely be posted first on Facebook/twitter.