- Sociology and Anthropology (B.A.)
Sociology and Anthropology (B.A.)
If you enjoy working with people and figuring out how society works, then a degree in sociology and anthropology might be right for you.
As a sociology and anthropology (SOAN) major at Messiah College, you’ll develop the skills to help you understand how society works and how you can contribute to making the world a better place. Like many of our majors, you’ll participate in off-campus internships and service opportunities at locations such as: schools, foster care and adoption agencies, prisons, hospitals, retirement communities, children’s homes, and other social service agencies.
These opportunities will provide you with critical hands-on experiences that will prepare you for many types of endeavors such as: graduate school and/or a rewarding career in law, education, health, human services, business, theology, seminary, the ministry, missions, and counseling.
Through Messiah’s rich combination of international study, internships, service, and academics you’ll graduate with an in-depth understanding of the relationship between individuals and society as it pertains to families, organizations, religion, crime, race, gender, and social inequality, which will equip you for taking the next steps along your career path.
As a sociology and anthropology major at Messiah College, you’ll be able to:
- Take challenging courses such as Sociology; Cultural Anthropology; Conflict, Justice, and Peacemaking; Engaging Inequality and Diversity; and theory and research methods courses.
- Prepare for advanced studies in law, urban studies, missions, health services, theology, social change and social services and related areas.
- Gain valuable hands-on experience through internships at tutoring programs, food banks, retirement communities, juvenile detention facilities, programs for ex-offenders and other social service agencies.
- Earn a spot in the Alpha Kappa Delta honor society or the Alpha Phi Sigma National Honor Society.
- Spend a semester or more studying in our international studies program or at Messiah's Philadelphia Campus where you can enroll in classes at Temple University.
- Do meaningful research working side-by-side with professors for possible presentation at undergraduate research or professional conferences.