- Spanish (B.A.)
Immerse yourself in the Spanish language, culture, and literature - both at Messiah and abroad!
As a Spanish major at Messiah College, you’ll spend at least one semester at the Universidad de Barcelona, Spain, one of the largest and most prestigious universities in Spain as part of the Brethren Colleges Abroad (BCA) program or at the Pontificia Universiadad Católica de Valparasío, Chile, through the International Studies Abroad (ISA) program.
In Barcelona, you’ll live with a Spanish family or in student housing, and even complete a three-week Spanish language and culture course before the regular semester begins.
Back at Messiah, you’ll find yourself fully immersed in Spanish language, culture, and literature as you learn from faculty who have studied and lived in Spanish-speaking regions of the world. Through challenging coursework and study abroad immersion experiences, you’ll develop linguistic competence, critical thinking skills, and a profound appreciation of the culture, literature, and civilization of the world’s Spanish-speaking peoples.
As a Spanish major at Messiah College, you’ll be able to:
- Participate in cross-cultural trips to Costa Rica, Mexico, and Spain.
- Enroll at Messiah College’s Philadelphia Campus (MCPC) at Temple University, offering you opportunities to explore topics of diversity and social issues while considering potential solutions through immersion in Philadelphia's urban context.
- Choose a secondary major or two minors in various disciplines, particularly in the humanities (the Spanish major at Messiah is a 45-credit program).
- Take advanced courses dealing intensively with individual authors or periods of special significanceor considering the political, social, and cultural histories of the Spanish-speaking people.
- Pursue a teaching certification for grades K–12.
- Immerse yourself in our state-of-the-art, Beatriz Howe Language Laboratory where you can improve your listening comprehension, speaking, and pronunciation skills in Spanish.