- Spanish (B.A.)
Immerse yourself in the Spanish language, culture and literature - both at Messiah and abroad!
As a Spanish major at Messiah College, you’ll spend at least one semester at the Universidad de Barcelona, Spain, one of the largest and most prestigious universities in Spain as part of the Brethren Colleges Abroad (BCA) program or at the Pontificia Universiadad Católica de Valparasío, Chile, through the International Studies Abroad (ISA) program.
In Barcelona, you’ll live with a Spanish family or in student housing, and even complete a three-week Spanish language and culture course before the regular semester begins.
Back at Messiah, you’ll find yourself fully immersed in Spanish language, culture and literature as you learn from faculty who have studied and lived in Spanish-speaking regions of the world. Through challenging coursework and study abroad immersion experiences, you’ll develop linguistic competence, critical thinking skills and a profound appreciation of the culture, literature and civilization of the world’s Spanish-speaking peoples.
As a Spanish major at Messiah College, you’ll be able to:
- Participate in cross-cultural trips to Mexico and Spain.
- Choose a secondary major or two minors in various disciplines, particularly in the humanities (the Spanish major at Messiah is a 45-credit program).
- Take advanced courses dealing intensively with individual authors or periods of special significance or considering the political, social and cultural histories of the Spanish-speaking people.
- Pursue a teaching certification for grades K–12.
- Immerse yourself in our state-of-the-art, Beatriz Howe Language Laboratory where you can improve your listening comprehension, speaking and pronunciation skills in Spanish.
“Acquiring another language and studying its history, literature, and development has made me a better, more comfortable global citizen. I feel like now I have the ability, the sensitivity, and the confidence to go anywhere and do anything I want.”
|Department of Modern Languages|
|Learn more about this department
|Cross-cultural destinations include Germany, Ghana and Spain.|
|State-of-the-art technology with extensive language software is available in the Beatriz Howe language lab.|
|Modern language students take an intensive semester in Paris, France; Marburg, Germany; China; Valparaiso, Chile; or Barcelona, Spain.|
|Teaching certification is available in French, German and Spanish languages.|
|Language proficiency is evaluated according to the guidelines of the American Council for the Teaching of Foreign Languages (ACTFL)|
|Students learn how to think and read critically, speak clearly and interact with others around the globe.|
|Professors lead cross-cultural courses, conduct research, publish and present papers nationally and internationally.|
|Among our professors is one who is a translator and interpreter; another who has transcribed books; and several who have studied, taught, traveled, worked and lived abroad.|