Supplements can be built once and reused on either homepages or documents to add a consistent look and feel throughout the website. There are many different types of supplements. A common use of supplements is to add a specific navigational path to certain pages within the site.
A major benefit of using Supplements for navigational links is that if the link changes, it can be updated in the supplement and immediately changed in all pages using that supplement.
In this example, the Collaboratory|Stay Connected page has two left nav supplements: Social Media and Resources.
Click below to see how to create or add an existing left Navigational supplement to your page.
1. Open Page Supplements
In the upper left area of the screen, click the Page Supplements tab.
If you haven’t added any supplements to your page you will see this:
Click “Add one now!”
2. Select Supplement type to Create
For the left nav, we select “Navigation”:
3. Add Links and Save
1. Type: Navigation
2. Select existing or leave at default “Create new supplement”
3. Define placement on page - we are using "Left" here.
4. Title: This is where you have to follow a naming convention. To group the names of offices together we start with (for example) Collaboratory | followed by an appropriate name for the supplement. Here we are naming the supplement Collaboratory |Social Media. For a Department, it might be Department of Engineering|Social Media. (The symbol used to divide the names is the pipe symbol "|" above the "\" on a standard keyboard.)
5. Fill in the Link text that will display on your supplement, and the corresponding URL. Click Add Link to add another line. Use the orange arrows to move links up or down.
6. When complete, click on Save Supplement and the new left Navigational supplement will be added to your page.
4. Add an existing left Navigational Supplement
To add an existing supplement to a page, begin by clicking Page Supplements:
If we choose Left again for Select Supplement Location, we see that there is already one left Navigational supplement for that page. It's OK to have more than one.
Go ahead and click Add New Left Supplement.
Now look for the name of the supplement you want to add and select it.
Check to make sure that the supplement Placement is set to Left.
It will be added when you click on Add Supplement.