- Sociology and Anthropology (B.A.)
Sociology and Anthropology (B.A.)
If you enjoy working with people and are an adaptive learner interested in culture and improving the lives of others, then a degree in sociology and anthropology might be right for you.
As a sociology and anthropology (SOAN) major at Messiah College, you’ll go beyond traditional sociology degree requirements and take courses in anthropology and criminal justice to become an adaptive lifelong learner. Like many of our majors, you’ll approach your studies from both a scholarly and real-world perspective, participating in challenging courses, off-campus internships and service opportunities.
These opportunities will provide you with experiences that will prepare you for many types of endeavors such as: graduate school and/or a rewarding career in law, education, human services, ministry, the for profit sector or the nonprofit sector.
Through Messiah’s rich combination of international study, internships, service and academics you’ll graduate with the skills needed to promote social justice, improve lives of others and cross cultural boundaries, which will equip you for taking the next steps along your career path.
As a sociology and anthropology major at Messiah College, you’ll be able to:
- Take challenging courses such as Social Conflict, Justice and Peacemaking; Religion and Society; Urban Sociology; and Harrisburg Neighborhoods.
- Study off-campus for a semester in another country or in the U.S.
- Double major, minor, study abroad, complete and internship
- Gain valuable hands-on
experience through internships at nonprofit organizations, government agencies and social service organizations.
- Earn a spot in the Alpha Kappa Delta honor society.
- Do meaningful research working side-by-side with professors for possible presentation at undergraduate research or professional conferences.
|Department of Sociology, Anthropology and Criminal Justice|
|Learn more about this department
|High rate of job placement in social service and business.|
|High rate of acceptance to graduate schools.|
|Faculty hold advanced degrees from quality universities and have extensive practical experience in research and social service programs and administration.|
|Social Resource Room available for study, small group meetings and research.|
|Faculty represent diversity of age, perspective and experience.|
|Innovative approaches to teaching and learning through use of technology and a wide range of classroom experiences.|