M.A. in counseling
Are you looking to advance your career as a clinical mental health counselor, couple and family counselor, or school counselor? With a program and faculty reflecting Messiah’s reputation for academic excellence, our CACREP-accredited program prepares you to work in a variety of professional settings.
What sets Messiah graduate programs apart?
- Program completion time frames ranging from two to six years —select the one that’s right for you.
- Flexible, affordable, and convenient with the majority of courses conducted online combined with just the right amount of traditional classroom and practical experience for your busy life and active schedule.
- Designed to prepare you to sit for your professional counseling licensure exam (LPC), your marriage, and family therapy licensure exam (LMFT), or become a certified school counselor in Pennsylvania.
- All courses taught by Messiah’s faculty—experienced counselors and nationally recognized scholars who will take time to mentor you in your education, faith and career.
- Small class sizes ensure personalized attention and meaningful interaction with professors and classmates.
- Rolling admission
Messiah accepts graduate program applicants year round
allowing you to enter the program at multiple points throughout the
Meets the standards for accreditation under the Council of Accreditation for Counseling and Related Educational Programs (CACREP) and prepares you to take the exam to become a Licensed Professional Counselor (LPC) in Pennsylvania. The New York State Education Department has also approved the clinical mental health track as meeting the educational requirements for New York licensure.
School counseling (51 credits)
Meets the regulations set forth in the Pennsylvania Code and the Council of Accreditation for Counseling and Related Educational Programs (CACREP). The program prepares you to take the PAPA and Praxis II exams and become a certified school counselor by the Pennsylvania Department of Education in elementary and secondary school counseling.
Marriage, couple and family counseling (60 credits)
Meets the standards for accreditation under the Council of Accreditation for Counseling and Related Educational Programs (CACREP) and academically prepares you to take the exam to become a Licensed Marriage and Family Therapist (LMFT) in Pennsylvania.
Certificate of Advanced Graduate Studies
If you already have a master’s degree in an appropriate counseling-related field, Messiah offers a CAGS in counseling to help you continue to meet education goals and to meet state requirements for Pennsylvania licensure or certification.
Tuition and fees
Tuition per credit hour: $595
Tuition cost for the entire program: ranges from $30,345 (51 credits) to $35,700 (60 credits)
Messiah College offers several tuition discounts to full-time graduate degree- and certificate-seeking students. Visit our discounts page to see if you qualify.
Questions about the M.A. or CAGS in counseling
Heather Barto, director of the Graduate Program in Counseling, firstname.lastname@example.org
Questions about any of Messiah’s graduate programs
Matt Reitnour, director of graduate and non-traditional enrollment, email@example.com
Questions about financial aid
Carol Good, coordinator of graduate student financial services, firstname.lastname@example.org