M.A. in higher education
Are you looking to advance your career working with students on a college campus? Would you like to deepen your understanding of the foundations and principles of effective leadership in higher education from a Christian faith perspective? If so, Messiah College’s Master of Arts in higher education will prepare you to be a transformative, visionary leader in higher education settings. The majority of classes are online, but weeklong summer intensives and graduate assistantships allow you the opportunity to personally interact with fellow classmates, faculty and students.
What sets Messiah graduate programs apart?
- Academic rigor combined with experiential learning opportunities. An internship experience is built into the program design for all students. In addition, many students practice what they’re learning through 15 graduate assistantships available on Messiah’s campus.
- A flexible program designed with working professionals in mind. The majority of courses are conducted online, blended with some weeklong sessions during the summer months.
- Concentrations in academic support services; college athletics management; strategic leadership; student affairs; or the unique opportunity to create your own individualized concentration, tailored to your professional aspirations.
- Program completion in as little as two years.
- Courses taught by accomplished, committed Christian faculty. Our professors have extensive higher education experience, gained through leadership in academic institutions, professional associations, and as consultants. As accomplished scholars, our faculty has vital experience in their specialized areas of study and practice. Our professors are caring, committed educators who mentor you as you engage your faith, explore your vocation, and advance your career.
- A reputation for excellence. Messiah College is home to The Ernest L. Boyer Center, committed to renewing society through education. The College's academic strengths are matched by championship intercollegiate athletic teams that have won 15 NCAA Division III national titles within the past ten years.
- Small class sizes ensure personalized attention and meaningful interaction with professors and fellow students. Our program allows you to learn from and with one another through online as well as face-to-face interaction.
- Deferred payment option if your employer reimburses for graduate course completions.
- Applicable and relevant coursework including a flexible capstone experience that allows you to complete the program in a manner that fits your career and personal goals.
- Rolling admission allowing you to enter the program at multiple points throughout the year.
Academic support services
This concentration will prepare you to understand and cultivate effective learning environments and develop programs that meet the academic needs of a variety of student populations. You will also gain a clear understanding of how effective curricular and co-curricular programs are developed and assessed. Outcome: academic advising, career development, and student retention in colleges and universities
College athletics management
The college athletics management concentration will prepare you to administer successful athletic programs and to serve the unique needs of student athletes. You will learn all facets of athletic administration, including events management, sports marketing and sponsorship, and compliance and regulation. Outcome: college coach, athletic director, sports information, facilities management, and recreational sports
The strategic leadership concentration will help you to advance your career and opportunities in higher education by becoming more effective at leading people and organizations. This concentration focuses on developing effective leadership skills, including the ethical and character-based elements of leadership. Outcome: leadership positions in a variety of higher education settings.
The student affairs concentration will help you serve college students by developing co-curricular programs and influencing the educational environment to enhance student learning and development. You will gain a full understanding of how college students grow and how to orient programs and services to advance holistic development. Outcomes: leadership development, orientation, intercultural programs, admissions, residence life, student conduct, and community service
Individualized concentration also available
Graduate assistantship opportunities
Graduate assistantships offer students the opportunity to put the theories, gained through classroom instruction, into practice through supervised, real-world experience. Assistantships are designed to provide a meaningful educational and professional experience that will provide graduates with the skills and knowledge they need for successful professional employment. Graduate Assistantships are generally two-year appointments.
Tuition and fees
Tuition per credit hour: $595
Tuition cost for the entire 36-credit-hour program: $21,420
Messiah College offers several tuition discounts to full-time graduate students pursuing a degree.
Questions about the M.A. in higher education
Dr. Cynthia A. Wells, director of the Graduate Program in Higher Education, firstname.lastname@example.org
Questions about any of Messiah’s graduate programs
Matt Reitnour, director of graduate and non-traditional enrollment, email@example.com
Questions about financial aid
Carol Good, coordinator of graduate student financial services, firstname.lastname@example.org