Welcome to the Department of Nursing
Our overall goal is to prepare beginning professional nurses within the context of a liberal education and Christian Worldview. As a Messiah nursing student, you will learn many facets of nursing that include the importance of personhood, the significance of community, and meaningfulness of service to others. The nursing curriculum is grounded in the arts and applied sciences which facilitates your ability to practice nursing with compassionate Christian caring, academic and clinical excellence, and service to others with cultural humility. You will become a vessel of God's love for others through education and skills learned as a Messiah College nurse.
Why Nursing at Messiah College?
- Practice life-like clinical simulations with medium and high-fidelity human simulators in state-of-the-art labs.
- Integrate liberal arts and sciences with stimulating nursing
courses and apply what you learned in simulation labs and clinical
- Pursue a career as a registered nurse in acute care or community settings or become a missionary taking your knowledge and skills abroad to those most in need.
- Go on for your advanced degree to become a nurse practitioner, clinical specialist, nurse midwife, nurse anesthetist, nurse educator, administrator or researcher.
- Join Nurses’ Christian Fellowship, a professional organization and a ministry for nurses and nursing students that provides encouragement and support for students desiring to minister through nursing and healthcare.
- Participate in evidence-based research projects in collaboration with regional clinical institutions, and present your findings at a regional nursing research conference.
- Choose a community health experience to obtain certification as Intimate Partner Violence counselors.
- Participate in community-based disaster drills.
- Join the Student Nurses Association that addresses current professional interests.
- Earn a spot among the nation’s brightest nursing students in the Lambda Kappa Chapter of Sigma Theta Tau International, the international nursing honor society.
The baccalaureate program at Messiah College is accredited by the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (www.aacn.nche.edu/ccne-accreditation).