- Why Messiah?
Why Messiah College? What makes us unique?
Messiah College Distinctives
Messiah College is a nationally ranked college that effectively integrates quality academics and Christian faith. Messiah has an ongoing commitment to the integration of faith and learning—particularly as it relates to issues of justice, reconciliation, and the dignity of all people.
• Messiah College is ranked #4 among colleges in the north and #7 for best value. See US News and World Report Rankings.
• Messiah College has a dedicated faculty and staff who are committed to Christian scholarship and service.
Health and Human Performance
The Messiah College Health and Human Performance Department has a long history of excellence. Once known for our high quality physical education program, our department has expanded excellence into 5 distinct areas:
• Health and Exercise Science – Health and Exercise Science has grown into one of the largest majors on campus. Several distinct tracks help our students reach their goals. Our Pre-Physical therapy major allows for students wishing to pursue a doctorate of physical therapy degree the pre-requisites to get into almost any school in the country. In addition, this major has become a popular track for students wishing to pursue degrees in Medicine (M.D.), Physicians Assistant (P.A.) or even research. Our Health and Exercise Science degree serves students wishing to pursue Occupational therapy, Wellness Coaching, Strength and Conditioning, or general fitness management.
• Athletic Training – Our Athletic Training program is a NATA approved curriculum program. Students who complete the program will be eligible to take the NATA-BOC certification exam to become a licensed Athletic Trainer. Messiah College graduates continue to score above the national average in terms of first-time pass rate. In addition, students in this program have continued on into Physical Therapy or Physicians Assistant.
• Health and Physical Education – This program has been the cornerstone of our department over the years. Our students enter a unique program that allows for experiential learning beginning in their Sophomore year. Our students are able to become certified K-12 in both Health Education and Physical Education
• Sport Management – Sport Management is one of our newer majors. Students in this field learn the mechanics of sport management in the classroom; however, they use internships, volunteer work and other experiental learning to “get into” the field. Many of our majors work with college programs, semi-professional and professional teams during their Messiah experience.
• Adventure Education – This extraordinary program dovetails the use of the many natural environments (Yellow Breeches Creek and the Appalachian Trail) with highly developed educational theory to allow students to educate individuals or groups in unique ways. Students in this major are able to gain valuable certifications in a number of areas in wilderness education.
Messiah College students in all of our majors use internships, field experience and research to help them gain practical real world experience. With the inclusion of experiential learning, students can use the book knowledge and foundational information in class to make real world experiences come alive. Visit the Student Info pages of each major to see some of the exciting things that Messiah College students are doing or have done in the past.
Faculty that Really Care
Messiah College faculty are recruited for not only educational background and Christian commitment, they are also invited to serve at Messiah because of their desire to make a difference in the lives of the individual student. Messiah College faculty members are known for having students over to their houses for dinner, conducting evening office hours/study sessions, and taking students to national or regional conferences. All these individualized experiences facilitate a unique Christian environment in which the student as well as the faculty grow closer and deeper in their walk with God.