- Art Education with K-12 Teaching Certification (B.S.)
Art Education with K-12 Teaching Certification (B.S.)
Art education majors get classroom experience at Messiah College.
Future art educators seeking hands-on classroom experience before graduation can look to Messiah College. The hallmark of our program is that you'll receive excellent training as both an artist AND an educator. Art education majors take almost the very same studio courses as other art majors, so you'll be uniquely equipped to be an artist-educator.
As a student here, you’ll thrive in a highly rewarding, yet demanding environment—one that also integrates faithful stewardship of your creative gifts by encouraging and supporting you with open and honest affirmation. And, you’ll see the positive results of all your hard work: our students have a 100 percent pass rate on the Praxis exam, 100 percent of graduates are state certified, and a large percentage obtain full-time teaching positions.
As an art education major at Messiah College, you’ll be able to:
- Develop the ideas and the skills necessary for work as a professional artist, educator, or art historian.
- Prepare and teach Saturday morning art classes for children from nearby urban school districts during alternating fall semesters.
- Have an opportunity to teach in an international school.
- Display your studio work in a senior advanced studies class.
- Spend six weeks student teaching at the elementary level and six weeks teaching at the secondary level.
- Join the Art League, a group that meets for critiques, films, and discussion, as well as an art sale each semester.
- Earn a Pennsylvania K-12 certification, qualifying you to teach any level in any public school in Pennsylvania.
All art education graduates are certified to teach art education grades K-12 in Pennsylvania public schools.
|Department of Visual Arts|
|Learn more about this department
|Well-equipped facilities including a variety of art studios, an art gallery, an art history classroom with specialized digital image projection and a darkroom.|
|Graphics and technology suite with Mac computers and the latest Adobe Creative Suite software.|
|Art education major provides a strong curriculum and thorough training in the arts within the framework of a liberal arts education and with commitment to a Christian world-view.|
|Accredited by the National Association of Art and Design (NASAD).|
|Department sponsors a complete exhibition calendar as well as annual lectures attended by the Messiah community and residents of the Harrisburg area.|
|The department takes semi-annual trips to museums in New York City and other nearby cities.|
|Graduates have received advances degrees from respected graduate schools across the country. Many graduates now work in fields that include careers in galleries, graphic design firms, Internet businesses, product design firms and publishing companies.|
|Art faculty regularly participate in juried national exhibits and have won national design awards.|
|Art faculty helped create and direct the national organization of Christians in the Visual Arts (CIVA).|