- Art History (B.A.)
Art History (B.A.)
At Messiah College, you’ll prepare for a great career as an educator, museum curator, gallery operator or art appraiser. A high percentage of our graduates also are accepted into graduate programs for art history and museum studies. Our program’s flexibility encourages students to take minors or double majors, such as history, studio art, or marketing, which permits students to further shape the major in their areas of interest.
In addition, each of our aspiring young art historians spends one or two exciting semesters at our Philadelphia Campus at Temple University or other off campus locations, where you will take advanced courses and have access to national and international cities and excellent art museums and galleries. You may even qualify for a semester at Temple's Rome program or choose to participate in another program abroad, perhaps in Athens or London.
Messiah’s art history major is one of the few accredited art history majors available at Christian colleges nationwide.
As an art history major at Messiah College, you’ll be able to:
- Study the art and architecture of Europe, Western Asia, and the Western Hemisphere.
- Focus on a specific place or period or work around a theme such as spirituality and abstract art, artists and the theater, or biblical themes in the Middle Ages and Renaissance.
- Enroll in a museum studies course culminating in the development of an actual exhibition.
- Earn a double art studio/art history degree.
- Participate in either the departmental honors program or an independent study opportunity for in-depth research.
- Land an internship at places like the Philadelphia Museum of Art, Susquehanna Art Museum, Freer/Sackler Galleries (Smithsonian), the Museum of Contemporary Art in San Diego or the State Museum of Pennsylvania.
At Messiah, as a community of artists, students, and faculty, we work together to be faithful stewards of our gifts, encouraging and supportive of one another, honest and affirming to all.
|Department of Visual Arts|
|Learn more about this department
|Well-equipped facilities including a variety of art studios, an art gallery, an art history classroom with specialized digital image projection and a darkroom.|
|Graphics and technology suite with twenty G5 Macs.|
|Art education major provides a strong curriculum and thorough training in the arts within the framework of a liberal arts education and with commitment to a Christian world-view.|
|Accredited by the National Association of Art and Design (NASAD).|
|Department sponsors a complete exhibition calendar as well as annual lectures attended by the Messiah community and residents of the Harrisburg area.|
|The department takes semi-annual trips to museums in New York City and other nearby cities.|
|Graduates have received advances degrees from respected graduate schools across the country. Many graduates now work in fields that include careers in galleries, graphic design firms, Internet businesses, product design firms and publishing companies.|
|Art faculty regularly participate in juried national exhibits and have won national design awards.|
|Art faculty helped create and direct the national organization of Christians in the Visual Arts (CIVA).|