- Biology (B.S.)
Messiah College’s biology major offers you a strong foundation in biological sciences, including a broad background in zoology, botany, chemistry, and mathematics.
Put your mind, heart, and hands to work as biology major at Messiah College. From state-of-the-art laboratories where students conduct research on cancer metastasis, phytoremediation, cellular immunology, forest ecology, and herpetology, to area studies in the campus’ expansive woodlands, fields, and wetlands, you will find a wealth of intriguing courses and exciting hands-on experiences that will enhance your learning and stewardship techniques. Also, you’ll have opportunities to choose from a variety of internships such as those at the National Institutes of Health, Nature Conservancy, Penn State Hershey Medical Center, PA State Department of Agriculture, and United States Department of Agriculture.
As a biology major at Messiah College, you’ll be able to:
- Gain firsthand experience using a scanning microscope, mammalian tissue culture facilities, and molecular biology techniques including polymerase chain reaction (PCR), along with other sophisticated equipment to analyze cultures and manipulate molecules.
- Earn a dual certification in biology and environmental education K-12 with minimal additional coursework.
- Participate in travel courses to New Zealand, South America, Zambia, Panama, South Florida, Southwestern United States, Costa Rica, Bolivia, Argentina, and/or Chile.
- Take specialized courses in virology or parasitology at the Messiah College Philadelphia Campus at Temple University.
- Dissect a human cadaver in our state-of-the-art lab.
- Attend major public events on science and faith.
- Conduct malaria/AIDS research at Macha Mission Hospital in Zambia in collaboration with Johns Hopkins.