- Media, Culture and Technology (B.A.)
Media, Culture and Technology (B.A.)
Considering a career in the contemporary media industry? Then you’ll want to take advantage of the hands-on media production, research and management opportunities at Messiah College.
As a graduate of Messiah College’s media, culture and technology program, you’ll have become a successful communicator—someone who doesn’t simply convey a message, but relates the message in a compelling and confident way.
Messiah’s students enjoy several distinct advantages. First, our close proximity to Harrisburg, the state capital, provides numerous internship opportunities in television, radio, new media, video production and more. We also encourage students to hone their skills on campus through The Pulse, Messiah's media hub that takes an integrated, multi-platform approach to news reporting on campus and incorporates all student-run media outlets.
The media, culture and technology major also provides foundational knowledge for serious media study. The most unique aspect about this major at Messiah is that it is studied through the eyes of a Christian scholar, allowing you to integrate your faith in the exciting field of communication.
As a media, culture and technology major at Messiah College, you’ll be able to:
- Choose from a news production concentration or a media management and research concentration.
- Take courses ranging from newswriting, to audio/video newsgathering, to digital editing and production and performance.
- Have direct access to a fully upgraded digital editing suite featuring 16 top-tier iMacs complete with the latest software, and new HD cameras. In 2014-2015, you'll also have access to a television studio space, a simulated newsroom, a fully equipped control room and a foley sound studio.
- Enhance your portfolio by applying your skills through internships at local media outlets, major network regional affiliates and The Pulse.
- Gain experience in the technical aspects of mass media.
- Earn a membership to Zeta Psi Chapter of Lambda Pi Eta, honor society of the National Communication Association.
Concentrations in this Major:
- Media Production
- Media Management and Research
- Media, Culture and Technology
Graduates of this major have gone on to become radio and television production assistants, reporters and producers.
|Department of Communication|
|Learn more about this department
|Numerous internships available locally in public relations, broadcasting, marketing, journalism and film.|
|Instructional facilities include Parmer Cinema, which features state-of-the-art projection equipment and review-room quality surround sound.|
|Messiah's student newspaper, yearbook, television and radio station have been brought together into a multimedia setting- The Pulse: Messiah College Media Hub addresses the changing landscape of the journalism field.|
|Digital editing labs|
|Professional equipment and space, including broadcast quality microphones, digital audio recorder, HD cinema and DLSR camera, a soundproof booth and green screen studio.
|Study with a professor who is also a part-time sports anchor; one who regularly publishes and present research through the Society for Cinema and Media Scholars; or another who has served as a communication consultant.|